Existing Member?

That's not a sunset, that's a bird on fire.

Samui

THAILAND | Sunday, 30 August 2009 | Views [561] | Comments [1]

After a 12 hour train ride, a two hour bus ride, and a two hour ferry ride we arrived on the island of Samui! [sidebar: sleeping trains are not what they appear to be in olden day movies, there is nothing glamourous about it at all]

We are staying in a beach bungalow at the Crystal Bay resort and it is bee-a-utiful! It's nestled right in this little cove where the sand is white and soft and the water is almost warm and clear. The only non-perfect thing is the sky, which, other than yesterday when it was blue, has been pure white. Only seems to rain at night as well which is lucky.

Haven't been up to too much craziness yet. Mostly swimming and eating and drinking, a very productive group of activities if you ask me! We rented a scooter for the whopping price of $6 for a 24 hour period and went on a tour of the island. Saw some waterfalls, saw some more giant Buddhas (they like their Buddhas large here), went to a movie (Taking Pelham.. somthing or another with Denzel Washingtoon, decent flick, but interesting in that before the movie started everyone stood up so we could listen to the national anthem...) They seem to very monarchical and patriotic here, long live the king and queen.

The people here are still profoundly lovely and helpful. Everytime we pore over a map someone rushes over to offer us directions or recommend a place to visit (even after we've informed them we don't need a taxi, tuk tuk, or tickets).

Had a migraine yesterday, but fortunately those suckers have been less frequent and less severe so I was only out half the day. Other than that I seem to be pretty healthy even after accidental doses of tap water. Apparently, just because you see locals drinking the water, doesn't mean you can. Their immune systems have adapted or other such nonsense.

The food is beyond delicious, which makes this the second country that isn't doing much to ensure a skinny body on my return. Cashew chicken is so far the best thing to eat anywhere, and you can also drink a bag of cola... an actual mini grocery bag with the same little handles but filled with coke and ice and a straw.. haha a bag of soda. Fun. Of course Brock wouldn't let me get one because "the ice is probably tap water." Pffft..

I believe we are here for another 4 days, but who can be certain, I'm not even sure what day it is half the time. Still can't quite sort out the pay phone situation here as it seems to be shockingly expensive to make local calls, and mobiles are cheaper than land lines... get your act together Thai telecommunications industry! Was nice to speak to my mom though this morning, hope all you ladies had a fun night (Auntie Bean if you really want I can wrassle you up some pygmy balls)!

Anywho, I'm going to go work on my burn and try to procure me that bag of pop.

Comments

1

Hi - I love your descriptive stories! I hope you and Brock are having a wonderful time. It sounds like a great adventure.

  Marianne Sep 5, 2009 10:30 AM

About amy_smith


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.