Existing Member?

travelflat

How to visit Delhi’s top 3 monuments in 6 hours

INDIA | Saturday, 16 May 2015 | Views [318]

words and pictures by Amit M Sengupta

If you are on a quick business trip to Delhi; and you have got few extra hours to spare, you can hop over some of this ancient city’s charming historical ruins and architectural marvel in a short span of five to six hours.

Get yourself a comfortable cab from any of the city’s private cab providers, or tell your hotel to arrange one for yourself. That’s it.

You are ready to roll!

Start with one of the most marvelous and charming ancient ruins of the country – Qutub Minar. You just need 10 INR to get yourself an entry ticket to this world heritage site. You would have to jostle a while if it’s a weekend – remember, this is a popular tourist hotspot. Spend about an hour to soak in the ancient ruins, enthralling tomb, madrasa, Altamish and the iron pillar built by the sultans of Mehrauli.

Move next to the Bahai temple. You would need about an hour to spend here. Popularly known as the Lotus Temple, this monument is built in a shape of a lotus. Crafted beautifully in white marble, the surroundings of perfectly manicured gardens and flowers are equally soothing. This is a perfect place to give your 24×7 lifestyle a break. Get inside the temple and sit quietly and meditate. Get in touch with your inner self and feel rejuvenated.

Humayun’s Tomb is your final stopover. This charming piece of Mughal architecture, in white marble and red sandstone is innocuously similar to Taj Mahal. Built at a cost of 1.5 million INR, this Mughal marvel stands tall amidst surroundings of lush green garden. Once inside, do visit Isa Khan’s tomb and Haji Begum’s tomb.

The author is a travel writer and photographer. He tweets @lifeon140

Tags: delhi heritage trip, delhi tourism, visit delhi

About amitmsengupta


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.