Existing Member?

A Sanctuary

A Sanctuary

NIGERIA | Thursday, 28 May 2015 | Views [466] | Scholarship Entry

The sanctuary
Surrounded by uninterested fellow students with iPod and ear phones plugged into their ears praying for the trip to be over before it happened did not dampen my excitement because to me adventure was adventure whether for grades or not. I have always loved traveling by road or air, looking out of the moving vehicle through the window at the trees flying by at great speed and the moving sky, you could go miles and miles and the pattern of the clouds just won't change, that was my first discovery as a kid. By air you get the heavenly feeling of being among celestial bodies.

I can still smell the brown chilled earth as our bus made its way into the reserve, I still see clearly the dusty road and swirling dust that penetrated the closed windows right into our nostrils, eyes mouth and left our white bus a light shade of brown.
On arrival to the reserve we were warned to beware of apes and we were visiting a nature reserve. I had thought it'll be like we saw on national geographic channel where animals were readily available alas we saw only apes,baboons, chimpanzees, gorillas monkeys and the likes of them, nothing other them.
We were told that the lions were far away I was very disappointed because I wanted to see the wild life especially the lion, the unopposed king of the jungle.
You can hardly have fun if you have to go around with instructors, a pen and writing pad, my mind still sailed away, though I didn't see the lions I imagined we walked the same part as I was in their home.
'Poaching is a criminal offence.' I heard the instructor say, I wondered what he might have said earlier that I missed, I had to shut down my mind in order to listen, this was definitely a road trip with strings attached.
What caught me was the serenity of the whole place, the fact that we were surrounded by wild life and we felt no fear, the chirping of the birds was a soothing music, the sound of the flowing stream behind our rooms could get you to sleep.
It was a blissful place, a wild life reserve area is sure different from our human dwelling places.
The peace I felt in the middle of the jungle, the quite excluding the natural sounds, nature as it was in its raw form. I can say its a sanctuary.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About aminaidris


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nigeria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.