Existing Member?

Journal Ethiopia

From Lake Tana to Debre Markos

ETHIOPIA | Sunday, 15 January 2006 | Views [5188] | Comments [6]

We started our trip in Bahir Dar, next to Lake Tana, and we spent a couple of days visiting Orthodox monasteries and running around getting letters of reccommendation from the Tourism Comission, the embassies, the head of the police and the militias, just lots of paper with signatures and stamps to get a trouble-free passage. Papers in hand, we set off with our guide Molla to Tsat Falls, and there the police insists that we take armed accompaniement. We’re very reluctant but they won’t let us go, they’re worried that nobody has done this trip before and they want to make some money as well.

After hours of negotiations we agree on taking one scout, Mulukan, what a character! He is an ex-bandit (all the guidebooks on Ethiopia talk about the dreaded shifta..), and after serving a prison sentence he came out and dedicated himself to growing sugar cane. He got ready to leave on a week long trip from Tsat Falls to Mota in 5 minutes, and came with a green suit jacket and matching shors, yellow plastic sandals, his riffle from XIXth century in one hand and a bag with biscuits on the other, oh and balancing a blanket on his head; that was Mulukan!

So we start following the Blue Nile through breathtaking scenery, and on the way we come across farmers as little as 4 years old with their goats and sheep, women carrying water or wood, men on their way to the market in the next village… It’s Christmas Eve, so we stop by a farm and put up our tents and cook poulet a la crème du lait! The next days we follow the same routine: we get up with sunrise, prepare tea and set off to walk before it gets too hot; for lunch and dinner we try to reach some farm or little village and we always get invited in to share some injeera (traditional bread) and have a coffee ceremony (they roast the beans, burn incense and serve three rounds of lovely coffee). We realise how remote this is when we see the faces of the children, scared because we probably look so pale to them even if we haven't had proper shower for a week  and have been walking under 25 degrees. We get used to doing all our daily things sorrounded by a crowd of kids, whether it is brushing our teeth or putting on sun lotion or filtering water , we’re like a circus!

After a week we arrive in Mota, the first decent size town, and we go straight to a restaurant, never a Coca-cola has tested so fresh and an omelette with fresh bread so good, my God how much have I missed the dinners at Palatine Rd because here everything is so so basic, there’s no vegetables or fruits, if we’re lucky we get onions and if we’re extra lucky bananas, that’s it… We’re exhausted, full of blisters and flea bites, but it has been a fantastic first leg of the trip and we buy some more buiscuits and blankets for the secong leg, we change scout because Mulukan doesn’t know the area anymore so Tele comes with us, and we are also accompanied by Shembal and his donket, which carries some of the weight as this time we’re going up the Choke Mountains.

We start climbing up these singing mountains, apparently you see nobody but you can hear them talking to each other and singing while pasturing their animals or working the land, it’s magic… And when they see us they stop what they are doing, they say Salam and come to greet us with a HUGE smile and shake hands, I’ve recorded so many smiles in my memory that I don’t think I’ll run out for a long time! For New Year’s Eve we are at 3,000m and we decide to have a rest day on the grounds of a school, the teachers invite us to a coffee ceremony and then they sing and dance around a fire to ceclebrate our New Year (theirs is on a different date), a small but very special celebration…

On the next day we keep going higher and the landscape is just mindblowing, this little village hanging on top of a hill is like a little Eden, lush green, and with a famous sheep market, so the whole village congregates in the town hall to invite us for a tea and hear us talk to the chairman about out trip. Afterwards the chairman and the police and the militia (very hierarchichal societies here), armed with kalachnikovs accompany us to the house where we’re going to camp for the night and they slaughter a sheep for us. It’s quite a ceremony itself, and while they are cleaning it the falcons are flying over our heads and diving down to get any left over… We have a feast around a fire, and then they start singing and dancing banging their kalachnikovs on the ground, it’s such a beautiful scene but I’m terrified! So I slowly make my way to the tent, and the next morning I wake up and find the whole group sleeping right outside my tent, covered with thick animal skin blankets… and I feel so honoured that this people really went out of their way to wellcome and protect us.

Finally we reach the summit at 4,100m and we have a little picnic right on the top, and Mr. Hakon Jacob Rothing asks me to marry him, and of course I say Yes, yes, yes, I’m so happy for it! So details to follow…

Then we start going downhill again, down to our beloved rolling hills, and in a couple of days we reach Debre Markos, dying for a hot shower and a proper bed, so we treat ourselves to a nice hotel and even the smallest luxury feels like heaven. We stop in another couple of small towns and we return to Addis, where we just rest, and eat, and rest, and eat…And I already miss the singing mountains and the smiling farmers, what a trip!

Tags: bahir dar, blue nile, ethiopia, lake tana, mountains

Comments

1

querida guapa amiga... beautiful amazing and inspiring pictures!! (not to mention the story snif snif buuuuuuaaaa ;-) next ones, put urself too, as we miss you!! love you, Grazi

  Grazi Jan 15, 2006 1:46 PM

2

habibte y habibe mama y papa we are both sitting mouth open absolutely gob-smacked with flees and goosebums all over... everything sound absolutely amazing... we soooo envious and feel like Cuba was a deja-vu compared to your aventura.. miss you also lots lots. the new house is bare and has no spirit, we laso miss the palatine road dinner as we've been eating turkish food from the corner for the last 4 days we've been there. still no internet ala casa nueva and no communication with the outside world. so bare with us a bit and we write you more about our humble Cuba dream. mucho amor y aventura hasta siempre. madam et monsieur Bitsch

  Mrs. and Mr. Bitsch Jan 25, 2006 3:21 AM

3

what a journy....... you toke me to my home land my home town in a blink of an eye,i born and raised in this very land you have just visited.and i even saw my old junior high school in your picyure gallery what a surprice.when i read your story.....i was laughing in joyous manner.....i can feel what you maight have felt in mota, where the villagers start dancing by banging of the ground with their bare foot....and i also can see your surprice face when you found thous young guys camped out by your tent all night long simply wearing thous unprocessed sheep skin clothing(we call it DEBELO localy),i am sure they did that, may be to scare any potential threates that maight come toward you. I also can see the relife in your face, when you finaly get to debre markos and find that hotel(may be that is shebel,that is the nicest one there) and lay your back on a matresed bed..........and most of all i am proud of all thous highlander peasant who entertain and attempt to feed or safegard you to their ability. That is a typical rural "GOJJAME" or for that matter typical ethiopian character of hspitality. I once read somewhere and it sayed like this "The Ethiopian people as described by the Greek historian, Herodotus, are the most just people on the face of the earth." and i guess it is!!! Anyways,Hope you had a great life in riching expireance over there....and i hope you mesmerize all this experiance all through your life time,and of course that hill top land where you guys get married how you will never forget that.Oh, by the way congrat on your marriage..and hope you will go back to celebrate your anniversary some times in your life time,but then you make sure you invite me to go with you so that we make the party even bigger. good job on your nicely sayed narrative about your journey and about the people you came across and their enthusiasm charactor. hope you will convince many people how beautiful the land scape, the hill side and the vally in the blue nile most of all the kindness of my people.

  mulugeta Mar 5, 2006 3:01 PM

4

Thanks Mulugeta, what you are proud Gojjamie. I am grew up in that beautiful and kind communities.

  Habtamu Jun 13, 2006 8:26 PM

5

what ajourney you had i know the place well and culture of the people. I hope i will be there on ethiopian new year,september,1, 1999 ec

  mitiku Jun 28, 2006 4:05 PM

6

it is very intersting to hear the story. i love that.that is where i grow up and still have the humane heart of all humans. sharing, respect, loving, protecting, inviting, welcoming wow. but on the other end defending is born in gojjam and passed away in europe.no fear for truth. they will kill trators and liers following up to the gate of hale. they look stupied out side but has god guidance to detact reality. if by mistake ur visit was inappropriate, u could have been history right at the mpment. this is gojjam where men with balls created .

  tesfa May 20, 2009 6:36 PM

About amera


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ethiopia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.