Existing Member?

Misadventures in My Own Island of Gringa-ness

Fourth of July in the winter

CHILE | Thursday, 4 July 2013 | Views [310]

Happy independence day ´Murica. 

Since it´s definitely not a holiday here, we had to kind of make our own holiday.  My roommate and I went to an American style bar here in Santiago, and ordered burgers.  Don´t get much more ´Murican than that.  There really is no difference between American and Chilean hamburgers, but these were definitely American sized portions.  I got a chicken burger, and it seriously was about as big as my face. 

It was also super messy, I had juice and veggies sliding all over myself for the entire time.  I gave up on using a napkin after about three minutes, and just waited until the end.  I felt absolutely gross by the end, but I guess it was worth it. 

As it is the middle of winter here in Chile, it was the first 4th of July I´ve ever had where I had to wear a scarf and multiple layers.  My roommate and I went to get some ice cream afterwards, probably not the best choice for the chilly evening. After we stood in line like silent waddling gooslings in the ice cream shop (we didn´t know that you had to take a number before they would take your order), the gringas had to scuttle home quickly so that the ice cream cup didn´t freeze my hand off. 

About amak


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.