Existing Member?

Misadventures in My Own Island of Gringa-ness

Laundry, round two.

CHILE | Wednesday, 10 July 2013 | Views [352]

And at this point, the laundry is winning.  Most decidedly. 

Ignacio told us that the dryer was installed, so we would be able to do our laundry at the B&B to save money.  Wonderful, but it didn't turn out that simple.  He told us to just leave the clothes in our room, and the cleaning lady would take care of it.  We did that for three days and it wasn't done.  Okay, but that's three less pair of underwear that I have (this is how you count things when you're running out of clothes). 

So we did one load of laundry, and gasp, put it in the new dryer.  The load included jackets and jeans, so there was the usual noise with zippers and buttons hitting the side of the dryer.  Ignacio was super worried, and kept asking about "all the noise" that the dryer was making.  After removing several items that apparently had too big of zippers, they were only in the dryer for half an hour.  After that, we had to put them on a drying rack at the top of the stairs, right outside of two male guests rooms.  Perfect.  Well, at least there was no underwear in that batch. 

At that point, I decided that we just needed to go to the laundromat to do our other launrdy, I didn't want to freak anyone out with noise in the dryer, and the thought of drying all my underwear in front of the B&B wasn't too appealing either.  But Ignacio ran into my roommate trying to take the laundry to the lavanderia, and seemed so disappointed.  Back to the drawing board...

We decided to do one load, our load of clothes and things that should not be dried.  After dancing around a schedule for that, trying to find a time when no one was using the washer/not showering, we got it in the washer.  I figured since it was such a big deal to dry things, no one would put it in the dryer.  By the time I got back from the gym, I went ot go check on the laundry.  Not only had it been moved to the dryer, the cycle was done.  God, wouldn't you know, the one load that we didn't want to dry. 

Even though paying for someone else to do my laundry kills me, and I don't especially enjoy that complete strangers are folding my underwear into perfect little squares, I think that's going to be the route to go while staying in the country.  Dios mios, I never thought I would have to sneak in and out of doors with laundry, but that's what I ended up doing. 

About amak


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.