Existing Member?

Misadventures in My Own Island of Gringa-ness

Conversing with a 14 year old

CHILE | Sunday, 30 June 2013 | Views [233]

I got back late from work today, one of the presentations went longer than we were expecting.  By the time I got home from that, I was starving and didn't really want to go through the fight it is to use the shared common kitchen that is about the size of a bathtub.  My roommate and I headed out and bought some empandas from a little shop down the street. 

We brought them back to the B&B, and we sat down at the dining room table.  The step-daughter of the owner was also eating her dinner, and she came in later and sat at the table. 

I've been trying to find someone to talk more Spanish to lately, but I think it's pretty apparent that it will not be with her.  I can remember myself at fourteen, and I don't think I would be thrilled to live in a house where there is a constant fluctuation of strangers.  But conversation was not happening. 

I tried to talk about anything, weather, what level of school she's in, and names of fruits.  Okay, those aren't great conversation starters, but my Spanish vocabulary is pretty limited.  But sheesh, SHUT DOWN by a teenager.  As usual...  I seem to be drawn to that!

About amak


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.