Existing Member?

Misadventures in My Own Island of Gringa-ness

Quest for laundry and a trailhead

CHILE | Sunday, 23 June 2013 | Views [293]

Laundry time...

In the words of Scooby Doo, "Ruh roh."  What to do when you have about ten days worth of clothes, and you live in a bed and breakfast with no functioning dryer?  I opened the dryer and found papers sitting in it.  Including the owner's manual.  It was ridiculously easy to do laundry in Guatemala, all we did was leave a pile of laundry and money on the bed, and when we came back at the end of the day, the pile was washed and folded.  Ahhhhh, and this is what it is to be an American capitalist...

Different story here.  I'm down to about three pairs of underwear here, so I had to go on a "lavanderia" hunt.  Highly successful.  I found one less than a block from our bed and breakfast.  I figure less space to travel is less of a chance that this girl will scatter her underwear on the streets of Santiago. 

Yesterday, Saturday, we wanted to hike up the hill that overlooks Santiago.  There's a lot of pollution here in the city, and my roomate's collegue told her that the best time to see Santiago is a day after it rains.  The smog isn't bad, so we trooped off in the general direction of the hill and figured we'd scale the mountain/hill. 

I should know by now that anytime I use the phrase, "I figured," this means I have no idea what I'm doing and it will turn out to be infinitetessimally times more complicated than I anticipated.  My roommate and I walked around for at least 45 minutes at the base of the hill, watching bikers going pass on a trail, but it was completely fenced off.  After we skirted around the edges of a freeway (yeah, imagine how graceful this one was while doing that), we finally made it into something that resembled a park, and that had a road running through it.  But by this time, it was getting dark, I had work to do, so we decided to leave the hike for another day. 

Can this day be described as anything but a win? 

About amak


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.