Existing Member?

My trip :)

Nearly two weeks here...

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 19 August 2009 | Views [660] | Comments [4]

(Picture - My 2 host sisters/didi's (Ramdevi and Gyanu) and my sister-in-law Bhauju.)

Hi guys, haven't got long left on internet now - spent too much time on facebook chat to Dad and Ashlee!!
So on Friday we went to Kathmandu for Holly's birthday and to have some food that wasn't rice! It was a really good night and I think Holly had a good time too which is fab. We stayed at the hotel we stayed at during orientation. On Saturday morning we went shopping and to the internet cafe before we had to get the taxi back to Sirutar. Driving in Kathmandu is not like UK driving and on the way back me and Harriet were talking about how suprised we are we haven't seen a crash yet...and then our taxi hit a boy on a bike! It was soo scary, luckily the boy was ok but we were all so scared. It was horrible.
We got back to Sirutar and there had been heavy rainfall and the whole village was pretty much flooded - our project site was a mess! There's been a lot of rain this week but today it's sunny again so we've caught up on the work we think!
On Sunday we had work in the morning, then venture meeting and then Harriet, Jahira and Hina came to meet mine and Meena's family :) They were so suprised to see how modern our house is compared to theirs! Our family are so friendly and as soon as they saw the volunteers offered them tea and biscuits! :)

On Monday work finished early because of the rain so we went to the internet cafe in Lubhoo and on the way there I lost my flip flop in a rice field! I had to run after it...everyone found it so funny, but trust me- it wasn't funny!!

That evening at home I taught Meena and Ben10 how to play black jack - now we play it every night, I think I might regret that in 8 weeks time! Ben10 has not beat me yet, i'm sure he will beat me before we leave though, he's learning fast!

Um...yesterday we had to finish work early again - we are all starting to get a bit worried about these half days because we really want to finish this project! We had a nepalese lesson in the afternoon which was good - I can now write Alyx Pleaden in Nepali :) And my nepali family gave me the name Aishwarya and I can write that in Nepalese too! The leader of IDF gave me a phone so I can finally use my nepalese sim! Yay!


Today we've been working all day and are all absolutely knackered! I was on wheel barrow duty this morning and that may sound easy, but trust me it's not! I was then on the shovel and digging duty...not fun. Have got lots of blisters on my hands!! Oh and this morning on the way to work I fell over twice...scraped my hands and knees...not fun. So I'm in a lot of pain! However the village people found it hilarious - typical!
Hope everythings good in England! I've heard its sunny - wow!


Sorry this post is very vague - not much time! Will write more on Friday hopefully...maybe Sat but we're hoping to go trekking then!! And I'll try put some photos on this blog page then too!
Enjoy the last few weeks of summer!
Miss you all, keep me updated! xxxxx

Comments

1

Another informative blog, well done xxxxxx

  Robin Pleaden Aug 20, 2009 1:04 AM

2

Pally,
You're blogs are so interesting! I'm so jealous. Can I come visit? =)
How are you doing? Call me if you get a chance! =)
Lxxx

  Lydia Cambier Aug 20, 2009 3:28 PM

3

look I have managed to get into your blog again ha ha. Enjoy you trek. Mind the chocs don't melt. We have now got sunshine after the rain.I have got a score of 7000+ on mah jong at the moment.Have made the mound of earth any smaller. Your blogs are giving us a good idea of the nepalese people have to cope with.. xxxxxxxxnana moon

  nana moon Aug 22, 2009 12:37 AM

4

I must be honest its the first time i have had a chance to read your blog. Excellent job, I am totally worn out just reading about it let alone doing what you are doing. Looking forward to reading more.
Netty, Lee and Girls xxx

  Janette Aplin Aug 22, 2009 9:52 AM

About alyx


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.