Existing Member?

Defining Happiness

A Local Encounter that Changed my Perspective - Bhutan: On Defining Happiness

BHUTAN | Monday, 15 April 2013 | Views [242] | Scholarship Entry

It often seems that the primary driver for most people in life is that of finding happiness. There is a proliferation of media sources purporting the latest techniques to move closer to this seemingly ever-illusive state. I am not entirely sure that we all see happiness in the same way. For what is happiness really? Perhaps the answer can be found in a small kingdom and a young democracy surrounded by steep mountains on all sides, anchored by two of the largest growing economies. Before even understanding that Bhutan measured Gross National Happiness above GDP, my initial attraction was to experience the protected Buddhist practices that are deeply embedded yet intertwined with the advancing modern world. I wanted to experience the mysticism and gain a better understanding of the philosophies and religious practices. I had not realised that I would walk away with a different definition of ‘happiness’. To steer me towards this deeper understanding, was a guide and a driver who accompanied us at all times. Their official role was to steer us through the baffling assortment monumental buildings, cultural nuances, Bhutanese landscape and traditions, and to bestow on us the tales, legends and stories that stoke up its history. It was in this week that through developing relationships with these very special people, who exhibited tolerance and patience, with whom we shared many meals and spent so many hours travelling from one place to the next, that an awakening of what happiness could be started to emerge. It was during this time that we experienced the quiet humour, the gentleness that so many people exhibit in the country. What became glaring apparent is that the happiness measured in this country is not about measuring the symbols of success, nor is it about measuring the amount people laugh – despite the fact that people general seem to laugh more that we do – but it is about an acceptance of circumstance, about resilience, about being content. And it seems that that is the point of happiness. It is not about the fleeting feel-good concept that many of us may seem to hold in their heads as the idea of happiness, or the feel-good measure of buying something, or of permanently smiling and laughing. It is about the principles of contentment and living a better life through adding to the lives of others. It may not be the answer for everyone, but for me it provided an alternative perspective.

About alysons


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Bhutan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.