Existing Member?

Travel to the End of the Earth

Explore the Hidden Gem of Philippines- Calaguas Islands

PHILIPPINES | Sunday, 2 February 2014 | Views [1680]

Lies in the Pacific Coast of Camarines Norte, Calaguas Islands are a few of the hidden paradise on earth. From unexplored scenery, pristine seascapes, rolling hills, laid-back atmosphere, and diversified marine creatures, this island rivals Boracay with its untamed beauty and natural wonder.

The white sand beach comes into our focus. This is my first impression of Calaguas Islands. They do not call this ‘paradise’ for nothing. The beach stretches out miles after miles with powdery white sand and azure water in Tinaga Island.  Beyond the breathtaking ocean view, everyone on the island has a happy-looking face.

Just take a look at the water. How could anyone not enjoy such a fantastic view?

The island is undeveloped and unspoiled, and there are non-commercial establishments and electricity.  For me it is preferable as I enjoy my vacation destination with no crowds and less noise. Just a simple lookout on the white sand and turquoise water made me feel revitalized.  Additionally, I enjoyed the feeling of having the whole island in the palm of my hand.

 

Our cottage, an alternative sleeping place, is prominent on Tinaga Island. It is an ideal place for dinner as it is also a vintage point for a glimpse of stunning landscapes.

The sunset peeked through the clouds and disappeared under the tumble sea. We cannot wait but jumped into the ocean immediately after finished our dinner. We laughed and splashed the water towards each other.

The night time in Calaguas Islands is definitely something everyone is looking forward to. There are no phone and internet service on the island so I did not see anyone check their works on the phone or look through the facebook updates. Instead, we all bond together, partied around the bonfire, felt the gentle ocean breeze, and slept under the stars. It was exciting to travel to such a secluded island like Calaguas, because I felt very far, far away from the rest of the world.

We do not need to pay exorbitant fees for a hotel room with an ocean view. At Calaguas, we slept alongside the ocean, and woke up to such a gorgeous view. This is the picture taken at 6:00 am, when the lights are out and the sun has not risen above the horizon yet. Such a breathtaking vista is avaiable for all of us,and the best part of all: it is free.

The white sand beach became my gym for the entire morning. After an hour strolling along the shoreline, we hit the rugged side of the island with the extensive jagged rocks on our right side. Standing on one of the rocks, one can have a panoramic view of the white sand beach.

Rain and storms ravaged the islands several times in the morning. This is how the beach looked like during the rainfall. I am glad that the rain washed the sting of the sun away, even it is just for a while.

It is time to leave the island and back to reality. My escape to Calaguas was short, but I had a grand time.

This is the travel group I met in Calaguas, they are based in Manila but we met on the road and traveled to Canalgaus altogether. We rode the Banca together, dined together, partied together, and beach combed together. In the end, we bonded together. Solo trip to isolated Calaguas Islands is definitely an adventure out of my comfort zone, but I felt so blessed I can met so much nice and warm people, and they made me feel like a part of their community.

It is the people that make the place, and together, we made Calaguas a newly happy place.

(The end)

 

 

About alwaysontheway


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.