Existing Member?

Wanderer

From one end of the world to another

FINLAND | Wednesday, 7 May 2014 | Views [187] | Scholarship Entry

When 2013 arrived, I was broken hearted. I had been dating a guy who didn't treat me well. One day I found a scholarship to go study wherever the winner applicants wanted. After thinking a little bit, I decided to give it a try...but where to go?
I had a look at the map and tried to think about the furthest place from where I was. As you may know, Chile is a narrow piece of land, full of amazing spots and people and, yes, it could be said that it is at the end of the world. So I was sitting on the south of Chile and I decided that my destiny would be Finland. That way, I would be far away from encountering my ex boyfriend.

Months passed and the day that the results would be published came. I won!
I won't tell you about the preparation details because I don't want to bore you so let's arrive to Jyväskylä.

I arrived to Jyväskylä, a small city in Central Finland, at 12 am. Since then, all was an adventure. From discovering little flea markets to trying to catch the northern lights in the middle of the forest at 2 am.

Finland is not only a beautiful place with marvelous landscapes. Finns are very nice people; they are always willing to help when it's needed. Furthermore, Finland is an extremely safe country. I would ride my bike or walk by myself at night without any worries about it.

I stayed there for 6 months. Now that I'm back in Chile, it's crazy to think what drove me to go there and how an amazing trip it ended up being. At first, I wasn't really enthusiastic about the fact of travelling but in relation to forgetting someone who was mean to me. My pain-driven decision lead me to some of the most charming places I've ever seen. I'll never forget all those frozen lakes, never ending forests, and clear skies.

I must say that Finland always welcomes all travellers. Evenmore, it gives you the opportunity to lay back, relax yourself, breath, and realize that we are alive to make happy discoveries every day.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About alwayserendipity


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Finland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.