Existing Member?

Travel goodies

Roma, "matter of slobs"

ITALY | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [160] | Scholarship Entry

Can’t speak of (gastronomic) goodies in Roma and not start from lo zozzone (literally the big slob). Wherever you are at night or dawn you will see one on the horizon.
Zozzone is 1001 vans selling sandwiches at the most unlikely hours. In the past appanage of the romans, today also bengalis. Average cost 3€. Ability to introduce anything in it.
Known by every roman worthy of respect, and natural fauna’s observation point of the roman specimens - from il truzzo (the yobster type) to il pariolino (specific inhabitant of Parioli district, known to be the richest) - about zozzone many words have been said.
The first zozzone belongs to Parione district, in the heart of the city. He was lo zozzo, the filthy, along Via del Governo Vecchio, today known as a super elegant shopping street. Now his grandson continues the business nearby in Via della Pace, but customers treasures to say that it’s no longer lo zozzone de 'na vorta (of a time…) when with only 3.000 lire (1.50€) you could eating in three.
About the origin of the name, many conjectures: those who argue that derives from that first zozzone, originally un benzinaro, gas station attendant (in slang), preparing sandwiches with his hands still oiled; who from those sandwiches, with meat always cooked on a plate pretty greasy, where you can put any zozzeria (junk stuff) contained in tin cans full of oil. (Oil is the keyword).
Not surprisingly, the position of a true zozzone’s consumer is standing at obtuse angle, legs apart, upturned elbows, jaw monstrously wide open.
Against any stereotype about italians and their obsession for good cookery, to be truly appreciated by the romans the better zozzone is the most filthy and, at this point, diatribes begins.
According to a roman(tic) review from Zozzoni si frequenta blog (you frequent, you become) Giorgione al Ponte Duca d’Aosta is the best, because he’s a real lumacona (big snail) of the trash-food, taking his van by himself each night. But er Ciriola (typical roman nickname from a bread’s type) isn’t agree: Ma che ve inventate? Giorgione a Johnny Food je porta solo che la borza. Venite a vede la danza der cingalese: manco le sorche de un kilo der Tevere je la fanno a regge lo zozzume! (But what are you inventing? Giorgione to Johnny Food (in Via Luisa di Savoia) just carries the bag (roman saying, who carry bags is inferior). Come to see the ceylonese’s dance: even the wharf rats of a pound from the Tevere river aren’t able to stand the filth!
Buon appetito!

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About alrinaldi


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.