Existing Member?

bare feet's trails

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Sunday, 22 April 2012 | Views [139] | Scholarship Entry

You are what you eat. We must have heard that words many times. We could use food to analyze people's culture. And also because of food's ingredients (spices), a country was colonialized by another country.
I am a Javanese who lives in Bali for almost 7 years. Even this two islands are very closed to each other, their culinary is different. Javanese food is dominated with sweeter taste compare with Balinese food that is saltier, but I am not going to compare the food between this two islands. I would like to present my experience in enjoying Balinese food.
I am a little bit lucky in eating matters, I could eat anything without having problem such as allergies. Maybe because I grew up in the third country so my immune system is stronger than people who are living in the modern and clean countries :)
I do love eating any meats. Especially when I moved to Bali; it's a bit difficult to find vegetables dishes from the Balinese warung (a very small restaurant) around where I live.
Lawar is one of my favorite Balinese food that you can find in almost Balinese warung. We usually call it in English as Balinese salad. At first you must feel disgust when finding out that lawar is mixed with the fresh blood. This salad is consisted of chopped young boiled jack fruit, chopped grilled coconut, shredded boiled pork meat and skin, and almost all spices that you found in your kitchen. Mix together and don't forget to put a little bit fresh blood so that the red color makes it more yummy.
One of my friends made a joke about the relation between lawar and Balinese people. He said that, "No wonder that many Balinese people can perform black magic and being possessed by the ancestor spirit because they love to eat fresh blood."
Yes, one of my favorite things to do in Bali is to see people in trance and stabbing their body with a kriss in the ritual of the traditional ceremony.
Come to Bali, I will take you to the 'trance party', as my boyfriend always said.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About alphanya

Gili Meno - Lombok, August 2011

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.