Existing Member?

Travel Tales

San Sebastian

SPAIN | Tuesday, 13 October 2009 | Views [603]

Decided that we had had enough of medieval villages so for a change of pace decided to head to the Brothers favourite place, San Sebastian, Spain, 380 km away.  Woke to a crisp 2 degrees celsius and headed off reasonably early for us.  To break the journey we decided to call into Biarritz.   Biarritz is a coastal town in Southern France and is known for having some of the best surfing beaches in Europe. As usual our timing was impeccable, as it was siesta and everything was closed.  Despite this the beaches looked great, as we had all been deprived of rolling waves for a little too long.  Made a mental note to ourselves that this would be a great place to visit when the weather was warmer, ie summer. 

 

A few k’s down the road and we found San Sebastian.  A quick walk to find accommodation in the ‘old quarter’.  As we hadn’t had access to internet, unable to look up Doug’s recommendation for pension, and couldn't remember the name so after a few minutes settled on the first one we found.  And you guessed it, when we were walking around afterwards, just around the corner there was Doug's recommendation!!

 

Spent the afternoon walking around the old town, and after looking at every shoe shop in the town, caught up with the boys.  As we didn’t have lunch decided to hit the bars early, but discovered that while Jo had us looking at shoes, the boys had an even earlier start.  We started with Egosari – highly recommended.  We all had the best tapas ever, especially the brochettes.  Moved on to another couple of bars where the highlights were the mussels and the fried chillies. There were so many different delicious morsels, we were like kids in a candy store.  Didn’t know what to have.  The hit of the night for the girls was the sangria, at a little bar where we had a night cap.  Even the boys wished they had had it.  We thought the guy behind the bar was making it up as he went, but incredibly was able to repeat the recipe exactly.  He just kept pulling out random bottles from underneath the bar, including a healthy dose of Grand Marnier to finish, then stirred with technical bar utensils, ie  the handle of a fork! 

 

Spent the next morning, walking around the headland to try and walk off the tapas and enjoyed the beautiful coastline. Headed up to the Cathedral, while some went in search of Serrano ham.  We were happy to finally have some decent coffee again.  As the morning was getting on, decided we should go as had quite a trek to get back to Belves, but not before grabbing some take away supplies ie Serrano ham, bread and Portuguese tarts.  All regretted that we only had a night here and definitely a place to return to in the future.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.