Existing Member?

Travel Tales

Bellagio

ITALY | Sunday, 13 September 2009 | Views [349]

Decided to have a quiet day today....anything that doesn't require driving!!! Went and got some groceries, got some fabulous local stuff, fruit and veg, and deli section so good. Walked into Bellagio, which is only about a half hour walk....45 mins with granny! Bellagio is known as the pearl of the lake...and easy to see why, is famous for it's traditional narrow streets, it's steep steps, which is perfect for the Edna!, it's Hotels, and shops (Edna bought yet another bag!!) and it's absolutely magnificent gardens. Which they were, so beautiful...see pics. Went into the Basilica Di San Giacomo which was a beautiful example of Romanica-Lombarda art, and was built in the 10th century. The altar was made of wood and gold...the Italians know how to do a good church that's for sure. Was going to stroll through the Villa Melzi, but the Lowes were to tight to cough up the 6 euros it cost to enter, so we had to walk the long way round! Back in San Giovanni...at yet another church, the Chiesa Di San Giovanni, it was the first church built in the Como Lake area. The most interesting work was a altar screen showing 'Cristo Risorto Fra Santi E Donatori' an oil work by Gaundenzio Ferrari And that's about it for today......

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.