Existing Member?

The best day of my life

My 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip entry

UGANDA | Wednesday, 7 May 2014 | Views [172] | Scholarship Entry

School just ended, the sun was in full bloom, and three years of University were behind me. I could not have been more excited for my end of year 3 days' road trip to Mountain Elgon I the Eastern part of Uganda in 2008.

I arrived at the bus station just before 6 am to find my classmates and lecturers full of energy. We had just fewer than 80 students traveling and were broken up into 4 groups. I sat by the window to clearly see everything

Having my cousin and friends participate in previous adventures, I knew pieces of what to expect, their favorite spots, and guides. I quickly learned that no matter how much I heard about the trip, my experience would be far more meaningful than I ever could have imagined.

It is only five hours drive to Mbale. When we arrived in Mbale and were greeted by our guides with fresh fruit juice. Instantly, our group grew closer on that first bus ride, as we chose our music, laughed, and finally rested after a long day.
One of the best activities was the mountain climbing and the camp fires at night where we sang and danced until late in the night.
The food was very delicious. We walked through the jungle to some of the many waterfalls, and we saw some colorful frogs, birds, and animals that are not seen anywhere in the City.

Apart from the great sights of the mountain slopes and hills, the place has very good weather.
I took back home very many beautiful souvenirs.

That was the most thrilling time of my life. I will never forget that time and trip.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About alleluia


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Uganda

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.