Existing Member?

Don't find me, I'm lost.

A Day in the Mountains

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [186] | Scholarship Entry

My breath was taken away by the fresh mountain air. All I could see was an endless horizon of mountain tops being smothered by eucalyptus trees. This was my first visit to the Blue Mountains, and its vastness had already blown me away, it was a refreshing change from the concrete jungle of Sydney.

After about half an hour of playing Russian roulette with the dangerously muddy stairs, the air became chilled and I could hear water trickling. I peered down to my left to discover a small waterfall trickling gently into a pond. The water was crystal clear, and the rocks surrounding it were covered in a glowing green moss, it was a beautiful spectacle to witness, I had never felt moved by nature before, but this was truly something special. I carefully ambled down the stairs, watching my step like a hawk, yet trying to sneak a peek at my alluring surroundings. Once I had reached the bottom I was able to do a 360 degree walk around the pond on a rock path which had been admirably crafted, now that the fear of slipping was gone, I was truly able to soak up my environment. After a few moments of admiration, I realised that there was bigger and better things ahead of me.

The path was now uphill, and dauntingly steep at that. I was concerned about how my rusty old hamstrings would pull up, as they didn't get much use sitting in my office all day! The walk up the stairs was more of a climb, as I had to use my hands several times to remain balanced on the undulating terrain. I reached a spot where the surface had leveled, as I was greeted by another astonishing view of the horizon, the mountainous backdrop met the cornflour blue sky, and the temperature was perfect. As I turned around to continue my journey, I noticed an opening in the trees, it was off the trail, but I was a curious man, and the temptation to make this journey even more epic was overwhelming.

After hours of weaving in-between giant eucalyptus trees, and climbing the claystone walls of the mountains, I gained a new respect for the first explorers of this area, and the how tough they would have had it. However, a little bit of panic went into my chest as I checked the time, I had been here all day, and my bearings were completely lost. I needed to get home, but I didn't care, and instead I just enjoyed the moment of the sun setting amungst my glorious backdrop, I knew I would probably have to stay the night, in the freezing cold, but I could definitely think of worst places to spend a night.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About alivingston68


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.