Existing Member?

Al's epic odyssey "A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu

Khoa Sok National Park, Thailand

THAILAND | Saturday, 12 September 2009 | Views [1240]

Sawardee krap.

It always seems to rain when I leave a place or move around, I’ve been very lucky so far. It rained pretty much the whole day whilst travelling from Koh Lanta to Khao Sok. And boy did it rain!

I booked a single night ahead on the recommendation of the same travel company that had put me up at Moonwalk on Koh Lanta. I’d suggested a few resorts which get an honorable mention in my Rough Guide to South East Asia, but according to the tour operator they either didn’t answer or were too expensive. The resort he booked me into was ‘Jungle Huts’, which failed to get a mention in my guide or the Lonely Planet Thailand guide. That should have flagged up a few concerns; however they had come up trumps with the Koh Lanta Resort so I booked ahead a single night.

I paid 400 Baht (8 Pounds) in advance for a bungalow and when I arrived the chap led me in the torrential rain to the shabbiest bungalow I’ve seen so far. It may have been acceptable at half that price. It had a river view from the rickety balcony and apparently had hot water, but those were its only redeeming features. As soon as the rain lessened to a mere downpour I went off in search of something a bit better. I found a pretty decent bungalow at Nung House (which is in my guide) set back from the river and negotiated down to 300 Baht per night so I decided to take that for a couple of nights and not head to Bangkok on the next available bus.

The weather wasn’t ideal for a couple of days in the forest; it lived up to its name as a rain forest. I managed a few short walks in between showers but didn’t go on anything major although the pictures of some of the longer walks do look stunning. There was a bit of wildlife in the vicinity of the bungalows, I found three blind (baby) mice in my dresser drawer together with their mother. There was also plenty of exotic bird and insect life, but no leopard or tiger which are supposed to roam the jungle.

Khoa Sok is very quiet at this time of year. Given the weather that I experienced, it probably wasn’t that surprising. The river was in full spate and yet they still had canoeing although I didn’t see anyone going down on tubes which was another option. That would have been exciting.

I decided that after having nearly a week off of anybody trying to sell me a suit, DVD or a massage it was time to head away from the peace and quiet and back to the big city lights. Unfortunately the cheapest form of transport back to Bangkok is a 15 hour overnight bus trip which wasn’t that appealing, the alternatives are a sleeper train or a flight from Surat Thani. I took the cowardly option and booked a flight to Bangkok. I’ll decide what to do next when I get there. I have less than a week before I head to Cambodia.

Tags: khoa sok national park

 

About alistair


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.