Existing Member?

Al's epic odyssey "A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu

Jo'burg again...Decisions...Decisions

SOUTH AFRICA | Thursday, 20 August 2009 | Views [686]

I arrived back in Johannesburg on the Friday morning and I was scheduled to start my new job on the Monday morning. The only problem was - I hadn’t decided if I wanted the job, I still had many reservations about working in Nigeria. It’s not so much the security issues that worry me, but rather the quality of life while staying there. Life is too short to need to have armed escorts whenever you leave the accommodation / office compound.

I’d discussed these issues at length with family and friends in South Africa and Scotland and I’d yet to come across anyone who thought that this was a great opportunity.

I contacted the Director to relay my concerns and we agreed that I’d go in on the Monday and discuss the issues with another Director who had recently spent some time there. It became apparent that the company were not in a position to compromise on the Nigerian aspect of the job and I declined their offer. That was a shame; however it does mean that my South East Asia adventure is back on!!

I went back to my brothers’ house and booked an incredibly cheap one way ticket to Bangkok, Thailand! I’m on my way!

While in Jo’burg I took the opportunity to do some tourist attractions. I went to the ‘Cradle of Mankind’ exhibitions at Maropeng and The Sterkfontein Caves. Some of the oldest and most remarkable Hominid fossils have been discovered in this area and they are currently excavating a near complete skeleton called Little Foot. The so called ‘Missing Link’ scull of ‘Mrs Ples’ was also discovered here. She’s thought to be over 2 million years old. I’d recommend the Sterkfontein Caves, Maropeng is probably aimed more at school tours.

In the words of Sir Elton John: “My bags are packed and I’m ready to go”. Next stop Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok.

Tags: johannesburg, sterkfontein caves

 

About alistair


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.