Existing Member?

Living in LA Alicia is an Aussie living and working in Venice of America, part of sunny SoCal. She escapes LA at every opportunity to explore California and the US.

Hollywood Forever Cemetery- Day of the Dead

USA | Monday, 12 November 2007 | Views [415]

Last year I wanted to go but was overwhelmed by the thought of the drive. This happens a lot to me in LA, I think about driving downtown or to Pasadena and then I think about facing the traffic - will it be worth it?

But this year I was determined brave the journey to experience this annual event. I roped in six others and with military planning and hand drawn maps we headed to the Day of the Dead celebrations in Hollywood - and it was most definitely worth the effort.

The Day of the Dead is a Mexican festival to honour and celebrate of the lives of the deceased. The celebration in Los Angeles is one of the bigger ones outside of Mexico. It was one of the most original and vibrant events I have ever seen. I loved the Mexican iconography and I was very moved to see the beautiful altars that had been created to celebrate heroes and family members.

Main Stage

The main stage

Two family members created an altar of all the things their lost ones had loved.

one of the altars

Tags: Culture

About alicia_d


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.