Existing Member?

Alex and the Universe

Hola, Belize! Urr, I mean, Hello.

BELIZE | Monday, 13 April 2009 | Views [651]

Laguna Miramar was spectacular.  After a 45 minute canoe ride out the far side of the lake, our guide pulled our canoe up onto one of the funky rock formations that ringed the lake like the dirt that would ring a bath tub if I were to take a bath right now.  Except, instead of dirt, it's rock and it takes the form of a shelf--the flat top just above the water level, the underside curiving back to the hidden wall of the lake.  Since no rivers flow into or out of the "lagoon", the water is unbelievably clear.  Despite the clarity, looking down off the edge of the rock shelf, we could see nothing but black.  We asked the guide how deep the lake was, and he said 500 meters.  That's 1500 feet!  So, inspired by the setting, I mustered up the courage to accomplish a feat I've never before completed: I dove head first.  The water was not only clear, but warm.  From the lake, I could see the red hand painting of a coyote that the Mayans had made many centuries ago.  Needless to say, the six-hour dusty gravel road ride in the back of a pickup with 27 others was worth it.

After Laguna Miramar, we checked out Agua Azul and Palenque, both great spots but a little crowded due to the whole semana santa thing.  Basically all of Mexico City takes vacation for two weeks and invades the rest of the country. 

And so Pete and I decided to take a short break from Mexico and went to visit our friend Anna in Belize.  We've been here a day now, and it is absolutely a different country.  People speak English and Creole first, Spanish a peripheral second.  It is very hot, which isn't much different than Chiapas, but much of it is also flat, at least what we've seen so far.  More than anything, it's the first time on our trip that we've officially entered the "caribbean."  The culture and language is fascinating, as are the friendly Belize folk we've been meeting ever since we stepped off the bus in Belize City.  One great upside to the caribbean is the sea, that we plan on enjoying by spending a day or two on Caye Caulker.  Palmed beaches and shallow seas.  With the capital "H" heat, island life sounds perfect.

Tags: belize

About alexandtheuniverse


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Belize

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.