Existing Member?

Alex and the Universe

The Beginning or Thereabouts

USA | Friday, 16 January 2009 | Views [463] | Comments [1]

Nosotros comienzamos.  My journey with Pete and our friends, Anna and Eric, will officially begin tonight, when we cross the border at Brownsville, Texas.  We have spent an idyllic couple of days at Anna's childhood home, canoeing among alligators in the backyard canal, or resaca, relaxing on the beach at South Padre Island, and running final errands before we make the long haul to Oaxaca. 

The first-class bus trip will carry us south through the mountains to the city of Oaxaca, the center of indigenous Mexican cultures and glorious, glorious food.  At least that's what I've heard.  After the 24-hour bus ride, I'll actually know if the rumors are true.

The plan is to study spanish in a Oaxacan language school, the four of us renting a room for a month in the historic city center.  Afterward, we'll travel as the recommendations push us, hopefully sending us to the coast for some relaxation, but also to the other southern regions of the country volunteering, learning more spanish, and soaking in the sights and the heat. 

Comments

1

Don't forget to send us your address in Oaxaca, because I have your birthday packaged and ready to send. How will you celebrate on January 25th?

  Mom Jan 23, 2009 1:25 AM

About alexandtheuniverse


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.