Existing Member?

Wanderer

My Video scholarship 2010 entry

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 1 August 2010 | Views [363] | Scholarship Entry

I was first inspired to make this documentary 6 years ago when I travelled to Catherine's farm as a 14 year old girl, there I worked on her property as a WOOFA (Workers on Organic Farms Australia). The experience was life changing and my eyes were opened to a different world, that of the Gypsy lifestyle and mentality. To this day I still admire her way of life, hence why I wanted to document her story.

I began visualizing this documentary three years ago when I was travelling through a heavily gypsy populated part of Italy. However it was only in the last two months that I put my thoughts into practise; compiling information about Catherine,writing a script and determining key elements.

I found it very challenging to instruct Catherine as a director. The heirachical nature of the romany culture means that age brings status and therefor authority. She was very hesitant in folowing my direction.

Documentary filmmaking is my life’s passion. For years I’ve been determined to become a travelling documentary maker; discovering foreign lands, diverse cultures and interesting individuals. It is my ambition to team up with my journalist sister in the future to achieve this goal.

Tags: 2010 travel video scholarship

 

About alexandrabingham


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.