Existing Member?

Small girl in a big city

Introducing Myself to London

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 5 May 2014 | Views [153] | Scholarship Entry

It was a bright day in June , the summer had just began in good old wet and damp England. Up until now I had never spent summer away from my family or friends, but this time around I was willing to take on the adventure of a lifetime in this new country I had found myself in.
My day started the way every other day usually does. I woke up, had a cigarette and a cup of coffee in order for my mind to be awake . My sister always said smoking was a dirty habit, but it was the only one which kept me sane most of the time, so I could never stop indulging my craving for my so called cancer sticks . I got out the kitchen and got dressed as quickly as I could and ran out the house. There was a bus stop next to my house so it was quite easy to get around, most of the time.
The wait for the bus seemed like an endless one, but after 10 very long and slow minutes I finally was able to tap my Oyster card on the reader and take a seat . It was my day off to explore the big city of London. I had been living there for about a year, but studying never gave me the chance to have an adventure of any sort other than alcohol and narcotics .
As the bus moved down the streets, I pulled out my camera and started taking shots. I allowed my eyes and my mind soak in the beauty of the architecture , majestic views of tall buildings and the diversity of the people which lived in London . This satisfied me more than anything else could have on a sunny day.
Half an hour later I arrived in Oxford circus, by far the busiest centre I had ever been to ! I kept on being a tourist, then suddenly saw a dark looking alley with graffiti all over the walls. I walked towards the darkness as I felt it pull me closer . The idea of evil and sadness all at once intrigued me. Suddenly a young girl appeared in front of me describing her interpretation of life into art. As an aching heart seeking a way to escape, I could clearly see the pain in the colours . In the busy streets of Oxford circus, filled with laughter, I found another tormented soul using art as her escape from the worlds humiliations and evil. I pulled out my camera and asked her if I could photograph her work.
After this encounter, I headed back to the busy streets looking to find restaurants and meet strangers.
That was the best day I ever had. I can never forget how a day of sight seeing changed my perspective on life. I met people who helped me discover myself . Somehow a lonely girl in a big city found the best kind of love.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About alexandra-ella


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.