Existing Member?

Roadtrip Australia: Van-Tastic Western Australia - PATRICK & ALEX

ADVENTURE CAVING IN YANCHEP NATIONAL PARK

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 17 June 2010 | Views [2860]

Below the earth there are places that seem to transport you to ages long ago. The caves are alive, constantly changing and evolving, offering us a magical underground environment that is world’s apart from the ground up above. Last week we were fortunate enough to go adventure caving in Yanchep National Park, just north of Perth. Our guide, Inga, led us on a guided tour through the Yanchep cave for the morning.

A vast underground labyrinth of tunnels and chambers, the cave was only a few metres deep ( the shallowest cave in the park) which was carved out by sand and water. As in most of the caves we’ve seen in Western Australia, the cave had a lot of stalactites and stalagmites. Stalactites, as Inga explained to us, are like rock and calcium icicles that hang from the ceiling of the cave. Stalagmites grow up from the floor of the cave and are the result of water dripping onto the ground that has a small amount of acid in the drops of water. The drops of rain water from the soil above the cave seep through the cave and slowly, over time, dissolve the limestone and create beautiful columns of rock on the cave floor.

We spent the morning shimmying through some tight spaces, crawling down rock formations and exploring the cave. Although one of the smaller caves we’ve done here in Western Australia (we went to Jewel, Lake and Mammoth Caves further south a couple weeks ago) it was still a fascinating experience to travel through such as extraordinary environment and having our own guide, Inga, to take us through and share her knowledge of them.

Tags: australia, backpacking, campervan, caving, national parks, nature, oz, roadtrip, travel, wildlife

About alexandpatrick


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.