Existing Member?

Roadtrip Australia: Van-Tastic Western Australia - PATRICK & ALEX

KARIJINI, WEST OZ ACTIVE & EXMOUTH

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 23 May 2010 | Views [2079]

Hello All,

I can’t believe we’re already into our 2 week in Western Australia! I don’t want it to end!  The trip has been super  awesome so far.   Our Van has been fantastic, the sun has been shining everday, and the beer has been cold.   We’ve travelled more than 3000km and we still have another 3000km or so to go.

As usual  I think the best way to write the blog is to do a top 5 list of our exploits over the last 2 weeks.  So here it goes….

1. Karijini National Park.  This was an incredible part of our trip, especially the West Oz Active Tour we did.  Through our guide Dan we were allowed to visit some of the most remote parts of the park, we travelled through Knox and Hancock Gorges which are rated as class 6 sections of the gorges, and thus only accessible by hiring a trained guide.  To get through the gorges we did a ton of swimming, abseiling, and sailing over a waterfall called knox falls--which was straight out of the Goonies and easily the highlight of our trip so far!

2. Dales Gorge.  This is another gorge in Karijini National Park, and considering they are both at the  top this week’s top 5 list I think it shows how much we enjoyed ourselves there.  We spent the whole day hiking the Gorge and shooting our pseudo- Croc Hunter-like show for the video updates.  Highlights of Dales Gorge are Fortesque Falls (where we did some cliff jumping) and Circular pool (which was super cold but an excellent place to swim after a hard days hiking).

3. Ships of the Desert.  We were fortunate enough to experience the Ship’s of the Desert camel ride on Cable Beach at sunset in Broome, WA.  This was quite an experience, having never rode a camel myself before.  Broome is an awesome little town with a great beach that you can drive your car right onto! Like Daytona beach, but with way less people.  The whole town seems to congregate on the beach at night to view the spectacular sunsets you see in this part of the world.

4. Almost hitting several Kangaroos.  These crazy marsupials jump out of the bush from nowhere and luckily we haven’t hit one yet.  The closest call yet has been when we swerved between two of them along the highway heading into Exmouth.  It is the closest I have ever come to hitting an animal…Though we have accumulated a mass of dead insects across the hood of our van.

5. The Stars.  Alright call me sentimental, but every night before we go to sleep we usually sit out in our folding chairs and gaze out onto the stars, which you can see here like nowhere else I have ever been before.  And it’s a totally new sky for me, the first time I have ever seen the southern cross.

Well, that’s been  my last two weeks—A great time!   We ‘ve met some really interesting  people from all over the world  and learned a lot about other cultures and life in general on this side of the planet.  I hope all is well in the northern parts of the world. I’ll write again soon.

Peace,

Alex

Tags: backpacking, broome, campervan, desert, national parks, nature, travel, trips, van-tastic adventures, wildlife

About alexandpatrick


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.