Existing Member?

Roadtrip Australia: Van-Tastic Western Australia - PATRICK & ALEX

TOP 5...SO FAR

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 13 May 2010 | Views [1282] | Comments [1]

Welcome to week 1 of 6 weeks of blogging.   Right now we're in Broome, Western Australia, having travelled around 1000 km from Darwin where we first landed on this grand continent.  This past week has been 'heaps of fun' and I think the best way for me to recall our adventure is by counting down the highlights in a top 5 list.

1. It was a 36 hour trip from our home in Toronto into Western Australia.  At first I was a little nervous as to whether or not I could manage all that time on a plane, I'm a little claustrophobic  and afraid of flying and the idea of flying over the ocean from midnight in Vancouver for 15 of the 36 hours had me admittedly a little nervous….little did I know that we would have incredible luck on the flight over!--the plane was less than half full!  We both got an entire row of three seats to ourselves and I immediately sprawled across them and passed out for the better part of the journey. Then I woke up and watched 'Book of Eli' --which was a rather crappy and predicable movie actually. Boo Denzel Boo.

2. Darwin.  For the first two nights of our stay we stayed in the Marmaluke on Mitchell.  A pretty nice hostel with a swimming pool, hot tub, and bar (with 8 dollar pitchers).  Perhaps, we drank a little too much as the stitches I just pulled from my forehead can attest….I fell over into a door knob.

3. Meeting the Northern Territory group.  This was a cool experience.  Meeting them was surreal almost like meeting a pair of celebrities ( considering we had been watching their videos for the past 6 weeks.)  Both of them are really nice guys--we wish them well as the continue their travels (perhaps they'll be swinging by Toronto).  We shot a little intro with them which we will be posting in the next day or so.

4. The van (GEOFF).  Driving the van for the first time was a little tricky.  Both Pshine and I are used to driving automatic cars and on the right hand side of the street! (so we both took a couple lessons before leaving Canada.)  A definite highlight was watching a crazy Aussie shout obscenities from his window at Pshine. For the last six days we've been repeating, "Get off the F*%$ing road mate, you drive like me Mum."  --in honour of this kind fellow.

5. Big Waters Canoe Trip.  Our first Adventure! We canoed down the Ord river for 3 days and 50km.  I wouldn't call myself a 'Pro Canoer' but when I first read this I thought 'meh that'll be a synch' I was wrong.  By the 50 km you are just beat, but it was really great exercise and with some beautiful scenery of the rugged Kimberly region of Western Australia. My favourite part of the trip was when we pulled the canoe over and marched threw the wilderness and saw some 20,000 year old aboriginal artwork.  Very cool.

Well, those are some of the highlights of our journey so far the trip been a blast! I'll have some more top 5 lists coming up in the near future.

Peace out

Tags: adventures, australia, darwin, itinerary, oz, roadtrip, trips, van-tastic adventures, wa, western australia

Comments

1

Patrick and Alex, you are doing a great job showing us the fantastic country of Australia. Also looks like you are having a great time. We will watch for more
photos and videos. Thanks.

  Bill & Evelyn May 23, 2010 11:00 AM

About alexandpatrick


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.