Existing Member?

"Sometimes you just need to trust."

"Take a risk to trust"

SRI LANKA | Monday, 5 May 2014 | Views [224] | Scholarship Entry

“We part our ways here”. What a relief, she thought as nothing felt better than being on her own, going through the midst of unknown.“Maybe this is the time to experience a complete unknown, just embrace it”, she cheered herself.
Flying through the clouds lit up by rays of the rising sun, she tried to ignore the repeating question in her head, how in the world she happened to be going to Sri Lanka with a travel partner she had just met a day ago,and who apparently decided to make a scene on the plane.“Well, this is surely the first time I feel like being in the movie”, she was laughing at herself, remembering the faces of concerned passengers. She reflected on her life philosophy,that it’s all about taking chances, facing the unknown and seeing a new opportunity in whatever happens. With this in mind she was approaching the far away island country.
“Taxi, miss?”, the phrase she heard about a hundred times as she was passing through the crowd of tourists and locals on the way out of the airport.“What was I thinking to come here at 4.30 in the morning”, she was grumbling to herself. Looking at the only thing about Sri Lanka she had – the country’s map on her phone – she heard someone offering help. It was a local man, so she didn't miss an opportunity to ask the way to the tourist area. Apparently it was quite far from the airport, and the early morning hour was not helpful at all in getting there fast. The man really seemed to be concerned about how she would find the way around. There was something touching in his attempts to call different numbers to find any reasonably priced accommodation.“If you don’t mind, you can stay in my house with my family”, he eventually said. Minutes later she was looking through the window of his car,rushing through Sri Lankan landscapes..
“So, those were busy ten days in Sri Lanka for you, huh”, he said looking at her with a wondering smile. Indeed, renting a car with his welcoming family and traveling around the island, seeing the ancient Sygiria, gazing at the milky way while climbing the mountain to reach Nuwara Eliya, getting on the train along the sea line towards the south of Sri Lanka, the sunset bike ride along the intriguing west coast and greeting stilt fishermen..“I can’t stop wondering though, - he said with a smile as she was heading back to the airport, - how come that day you agreed to go with a stranger to his house?” The answer just came out as she was smiling back at him.“Sometimes you just need to trust”.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About alena_discover


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Sri Lanka

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.