Existing Member?

The Real Fairy Tales

STRATHCONA PARK

CANADA | Thursday, 28 May 2015 | Views [252] | Scholarship Entry

When you get to Strathcona, the view is just amazing. The mountains welcome you and the sun will give you a little cozy warm. The people working there is just so nice. You can see that they actually enjoy working there and this is the newest call to "just relax". What else do you need when you have a lake, the mountains, nice food and a great place to sleep?
The park offers different activities: from kayaking, hiking, to rock climbing. You have to try them all. My first choice was kayaking. I got my lifesaver, my helmet and got into the beach. But this seemed weird to me, because there was no sand (being born in the Caribbean I was expecting less rocks). The guide laughed at me and said: this is not Cancun (which I have already figured). So we got the kayak on the water and jumped on it. The water was so clear and dark at the same time. I touched it with the tip of my fingers and I could only imagine how it will feel in December (it was august at that time). I realized how little I was, how great nature is and how blessed I was to experience this moment: away from the modern world, I could finally see the planet, my planet.
That night we got a good meal and hot cocoa. I go to bed looking at the stars in the bluest sky I have ever seen.
Wake up early. The walk starts next to a cabin, after a short introduction, we go into the forest, this beautiful crowd of ancient trees. The smell of fresh makes goes into every poor of your skin. Mud is everywhere. You don’t even feel the hour and a half you just walked to get into this wall. One guy is on the top, he smiles. The guide gives a reminder of how you’re supposed to go up. That’s when I remember: I’m about to climb these rocks. Half way my vertical journey I get a warning: do not look down. So I look down. I feel a bit dizzy and scared. Below me the mountains don’t look so big now and I’m just hanging in one of them. The guy on the top tells me to go on and I do it. A sense of conquering this little part feels like the biggest mountain to me. I breathe. I take a look and I just capture all the beauty in my eyes. This is just heaven. I feel like an 8 year old: the dust, the grass, the water, they all make me smile. They make me happy.
The next day, breakfast is as good as the day before. I take a lot of pictures. On the way back I have the feeling that something has come with me. Maybe I found my totem, maybe, after all I found a place where I actually want to come back.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About alejandravictoria


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.