Existing Member?

Each food has its own story

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Tuesday, 3 April 2012 | Views [243] | Scholarship Entry

Hue, my hometown, where I never felt fed up with, at least each moment I flied home. Hue, a special land, called a land of God, completely lures travelers to an excitement of discovery. Once flying high over this romantic city, Hue looks like a deep track, surrounded by trees, to the wonderland of fragrance.
Zooming the camera to the local lives, low-roofed houses surrounding the river, enclosed with small wooden bridges leading to city streets, where traditional stores and food courts stand available to serve every guests’ tastes. Those are, moreover, ready-to-eat gatherings for locals and expats. What is more, a great taste journey of traditional food, including specialties to mixed-up ones brings you to the world of flavours. Stepping into a place, if it is not to say that, you miss the chance of enjoying traditional tastes, be ashamed of boasting the place you land. Otherwise, do what the natives do and enjoy what they taste. “Bun bo Hue” (Hue beef noodles) is a choice of breakfast for most locals here, as it spreads to lunch and dinner in other places across Vietnam. A loaf of bread will add into the integrity of a traditional meal that to most, still strange to apply.
Dare you enjoy “bun hen” and “com hen” full of spices, making you cry for the very first time – quite moving and impressive. Many compare this world of art to food of pigs but unfortunately, if you never spent a night to be a pig, you will never know how wonderful this world means to you. Hue specialties, besides, subordinate with all kinds of cakes, composing of banh beo, banh nam, banh loc, banh it, etc. Last but not least, beginning with “banh” but not “banh” (cake) is “banh canh”, translated as noodles which are hard to recognise, if it is not tasted. Those above perfect the culinary dictionary, but it is not sufficient without red pepper and over 1000 valuable condiments.
Yes, I am boasting, but action is better than words. Come and unveil my lies!

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About alegendstoryofcuisine


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.