Existing Member?

People make the country

Mountain Yiouchtas, Isle of Crete

GREECE | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [216] | Scholarship Entry

Stepping up the few steps to the top of the Mountain Yiouchtas an indescribable, sudden peace washed over me. The last months of the university, the stress of moving from country to country and the demanding job had taken their toll on me. However, it took only a few moments up there for all the stress to disappear. Since that day I believe that monasteries and nunneries were built on mountains not only for protection, but also because of the tranquillity up there.

Everywhere I looked I could see the Cretan mountains and the villages built in the valleys. Off to the right side by the sea I could see Heraklion, suddenly looking so small. As I walked from side to side of the small place I was amazed to see how high up we were and how far in the distance I could see. It was a lucky coincidence that we were there at the right time to watch the sunset. The other mountaintops were getting misty and the feeling was a little surreal.

After enjoying the perfect peace for about half an hour we went to a small café in Heraklion for a dinner that completed the whole experience. It seemed that only the locals know this café and that is another reason why mixing with the locals while travelling is absolutely genius. They know where and what to try to taste the best the country can offer.

George, the person who took me to this amazing place, is the complete opposite of the people I encountered while working at the hotel. His kindness and selflessness completely contrasted the greed and coldness that surrounded the hotel management. He spent his time, energy and money showing me and my two friends all the best places around Heraklion, receiving nothing but our company and thank yous in return.

Never mind all the negativity and the worst parts of human nature that I experienced at work that summer. Thanks to George, I can always say I met one of the best and kindest people during my time on the island.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About aledina


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.