Existing Member?

Thoughts of a Citizen of the World

My First Contact with Buddhism

TAIWAN | Wednesday, 7 May 2014 | Views [225] | Scholarship Entry

I open the book that is given to me when we enter the temple, it's the Heart Sutra, one of the various religious texts that are believed to be the actual words of Buddha. I look over and I get lost in the confusion of Chinese characters. I try again. Everybody around me is chanting but I can't follow the pages.

I examine my surroundings, there are around thirty students. Some of us are wearing the Hai Qing, a black uniform used in Buddhist ceremonies and others are wearing the Màn Yi instead.

Beautiful sounds come from the liturgy instruments. Everyone is chanting to the rhythm of the celestial music. It's such a peaceful and mystic moment. I'm lost in the pages but I decide to join in the chanting for the movement of my vocal cords relaxes me. It also makes me feel part of the group.

We stand up, where should I put the book now? We were told not to put it on the floor so I quickly display it on the cushion I was sitting. Everyone is bowing, oh, I'm late again! Stand up! Bow!

At the beginning I was tired of bowing all the time but I now find it relaxing and a good practice for my body and soul. When I bow on my knees, put my head down on the floor and take a deep breath I feel a profound connection with my inner self. I'm getting to know my soul. Bowing gives me peace, a tranquility I thought I would never perceive.

When I prostrate I feel my problems get exposed to a more complex reality, they get away from me to be shown to the world. They leave me to bare my soul, to purify me. I am fascinated by the little lights that decorate every space in the shrine. Avalokitesvara is shining there on top.

I'm lucky to be here despite all the rules we have to obey. I'm part of a beautiful evening chanting in Kaohsiung, Taiwan. I'll be living here for a week with one thousand monks and nuns, learning about Buddhism, meditation and having silent meals.
Some months ago I was doing an internship I hated where they did not value me and here I am appreciating the scent of the eternal spring, finally.

But how did I end up here? Five years ago I went to Germany to study for a year where I met Övgü, a Turkish girl that told me her experience with AIESEC teaching English in Poland. When I went back to Madrid I joined them and developed different national and international projects.

Thanks to that network I read about someone who went to live in a temple in the Philippines. Curiously enough the opportunity came some months after, at the very right moment.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About albaluna


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Taiwan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.