Existing Member?

Wandering and Wondering

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" - Where It All Began

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 13 February 2014 | Views [245]

Historically, when my friends/family members/acquaintances/random people on the street/clowns from the circus asked what I wanted to be/do/think/feel/believe when I grew up/graduated college/entered "the real world," I always had an answer. The answer changed fairly regularly, but it was always an answer that fell in line with others of my generation. "I'm going to be a vet" was the beginning, followed closely by a zookeeper. Then as I reached college, I realized I liked the idea of inspiring kids as my teachers had inspired me. My focus shifted from animals to theatre and my new answers were "I'll teach high school drama" and, most recently, "I'm going to grad school to get a PhD so I can teach college." However, as that graduation date drew near, an advisor mentioned that she thought it best that I see the world some before going to grad school. "Explore. Live. Find a thesis" she advised - little did she, or I, know that piece of advice would lead me very far off the beaten path of my peers toward a year (or maybe a life?) of "nomading."

Amelia Earhart once said, "Adventure is worthwhile in itself." It's been almost two years since the advice to explore the world was given and in that time I've had the opportunity to work with raptors, alligators, and other native Florida wildlife; to teach kids about the world we live in, how to ride a horse, how to make their picture turn into something real, and how to be a "backstage ninja;" I've met some of the most amazing people on the planet and taught some of the most wonderful kids; I've been on four road trips including two 7+ day trips between Florida and Maine; I've worked with some incredible horses and trainers; I've spent two weeks exploring California; and, most importantly for the purposes of this story, I've begun a nomading adventure by flying 4,342 miles "across the pond" by myself. So this will be a story of adventure - not necessarily the kind that involves jumping off a cliff or parachuting out of an airplane, but adventure nonetheless. I don't promise to write daily, or at all really. I don't promise you'll find it exciting. I actually don't promise anything. Because this adventure isn't for you, it's for me, and -more importantly- it's for itself. But you're welcome to join ;)

About alannahammesfahr


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.