Existing Member?

The Shepherd

The pool of the Goddess

EGYPT | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [235] | Scholarship Entry

A traditional family outing in a spacious yard, overlooking a magnificent view of black and white rocky mountains. Tables, chairs, a soft sandy floor, a ceiling of palm tree branches that kept the sunshine company, and a wall at the back, circling something still unknown. Lunch was not a surprise, chicken and endless amounts of spaghetti for the huge family. Me and my brother reckoned “Where is the tradition?” 
“Bath time!” shouts the grandmother.

With large towels and toiletries, the ladies started heading to the other side of the wall. A wooden door was opened and there it was, a small pool, old tiles, clean turquoise water, and no ceiling, ideal. 

Excitingly, they started taking of their clothes and got into the water with what resembles light cotton sleeping dresses, very few of them wore a swimming costume. I was fine until they started taking off their dresses and became only in their underwear and bras. I sought protection in a lonely chair far from the pool watching this bizarre scene, shaking my legs, biting my nails, ready to attack anyone who would try to force me into this mockery and praying they won’t go any farther. 
“Common! Join!” said one of the girls merrily
I shut her off. “I’m not taking off a shoe!”
And finally, it happened, bras are off. 
Embarrassment electrified the air. Almost 13 naked females bathing together, scrubbing each other, discussing family issues, singing, playing, laughing! I couldn’t deny that their joy was contagious, a smile brushed my face as my mind started to form a new scene. It’s a runaway technique...imagine.

The sharp rectangular pool started curving with the ladies’ curves. Laughter was splashing in the air and the water flow echoed, revolutionizing, the pool turned into a sea, an ocean, the water lost its mind! Their confidence re-crafted their flawed bodies perfectly, a tremendous sense of liberation was created by the sky, and for a blind second it turned them all into ancient beautiful Roman goddesses. 

Back to reality, I’m met by the grandmother’s direct smile to me, a challenging smile breaking my judgmental stare saying “I’m younger than you, I’m the queen of these Oasis. You’re only a timid modern Egyptian girl stuck in a chair.”  

I came out, pale, with a weird smile (as my brother said) and eyes wide open. It was the men’s turn and my brother was pushed in like me. I heard his distant pathetic shout “Lou, what happens in there?!”. A universe of silent laughter explodes within me.
“You’ll see!”

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About alaa


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.