Existing Member?

L-I-V-I-N Quit working to go travel around the world for a year

Copenhagen

DENMARK | Thursday, 24 June 2010 | Views [226]

June 24th:

Got up and headed to the train station, made our way up to the coast where the train got onto a ferry and crossed into Denmark.  A bit delayed, but got into Copenhagen just the same.  Walked to the hotel, then wondered back to Tivoli (Danish amusement park) for the evening.  Basically, think of Six Flags with like 1/3rd of the rides but lots of expensive food and beer just the same.  Had a $10 meal which cost $50, and watched them light a wood/paper witch on fire in the middle of the little pond while they played shitty horns (like french horns but with a small opening).  Mom liked this I guess. 

We then went and watched the US/Algeria and England/Slovenia game at an English pub with other Americans.  Great time except for the $8 pints of beer.  Lots of excitement when they scored the goal at 91min. 

Headed home after to chill before a day of toursiting.

                                              

June 25th:

Good breakfast as with all places I have been thus far in Europe.   Spent the day exploring the city.  Walked down the longest walking/shopping street in the world or something like that.  Nice I guess if I was in the position to buy something.  Headed to the canal and took a 1 hour harbor tour.  Saw the spot where the little mermaid (a small statue that the city if famous for) was supposed to be but appearantly they took it to some conference or something like that and just left a sign that said www.littlemermaid.com.  I did see some naked women swimming in the harbour.  They just stood on a dock, took their clothes off and jumped in.  A welcome relief to the naked men I had come across this far on my trip.  Finished the tour and wondered to the citadel then tried to figure out how to get to the Carlsberg brewery from here.  It was about a 3  mile walk or a $25 cab ride.  Mom was Ok with the walk even though I made double sure.  So we started walking….and walking…. Finally got to a train station about 2 miles down and took it the last mile.  Walked about another ½ mile around to the entrance and spent an hour or 2 wondering around the little museum thing they had set up.  You didn’t get to actually tour the brewery, but it was more like a history of museum.  They did have the largest beer collection in the world with like 19k unopened beer bottles.   And they did give you 2 free draft beers at the end.  It was weird though, no one else was at the thing most of the time we were there….and I forgot to take a picture in front of any sort of land mark.  The thing that stood out was that they had all kinds of stuff for the employees to do…tennis courts, gym, etc.    After all that we headed back and ate a donner kabob gyro thing.  Back to the hotel at this point had walked about 6 miles and was ready to chill instead of watching the Denmark soccer match.  Hung outu at the hotel instead of a night out drinking which would have cost about $50 and left me with a hangover on the train. 

 

About akulhavy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Denmark

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.