Existing Member?

Hello Kili

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - My Big Adventure

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 28 March 2011 | Views [206] | Scholarship Entry

Can we ever experience contentment?

I do not know. But travellers, who pass by this way, linger. Many try and work hard to reach to the top. Some just to be one among many, who surrender to the greatness of the mountain, some beckon to experience this beautiful stretch of Africa.

Pole-pole, the guides of Masai tribe keep chanting in the Swahili language reminding us that the slower we go, the further we reach. Contentment they say is a journey to one’s self.

The kili experience opened up an enchanting maze of hiking trails, refreshed by lush green rainforests to deserted alleys, troop of wild monkeys to a flock of endangered birds, I felt that I was embarking on a journey within.

Inspired by the mountain I started my journey along the Rongai route, which is considered to be one of the easier ones. It feels easy in the beginning, then the resistance melts, walls break down, and dehydration kicks in. At that moment I felt maybe contentment is not being afraid of being vulnerable.

Contentment very often is the realization that simple pleasures are what matters most. Early morning I always viewed the shapes of the spectacular peaks, each unique in its setting and character, accentuated by the beautiful sun. The morning were also enriched by divine breakfasts from sipping black tea to eating that delicious porridge, from fruit plates to Cadbury’s dairymilk desert. I felt I was on a journey to discover a new world of simple delights.

The peaks exemplify a rare bonding between man and nature, a remarkable give and take relationship between one and another. As we kept going higher and the body started to acclimatize, I felt the mist around was clearing the fog within and perhaps at that moment contentment was being able to rise high enough to see myself in the bigger picture.

Perfected by the endless trekking during the previous few days, the kili ascent conjured by the consumption of energy drinks and water stops started at the midnight hour with our headlamps on and water-filled backpacks. Human nature is unchanging they say, but proving them wrong were the 12 of us – putting our remarkable strength and stamina to good use to reach the summit. As I reached the top of Uhuru Peak, which is 5895 metres above sea level, I got on a new high, I saw myself in a new light. Contentment was all about discovering my new nature.

Your moment to experience contentment is waiting ??

Go experience Kilimanjaro !!!

Tags: #2011Writing, Travel Writing Scholarship 2011

About aksrumalla


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.