Existing Member?

Sugar & Spice, And All Things Nice!

Amritsar - Heritage, Spirituality and Gluttony!

INDIA | Monday, 28 April 2014 | Views [197] | Scholarship Entry

The first time I studied about the city of Amritsar in my History textbook, I knew I wanted to visit that place. The extensive lectures talked about the glorious past of the city and how the events that took place in Jallianwala Bagh, almost a century ago, turned the course of the struggle for India's independence. Whether or not you're a patriotic Indian, or even if you're not Indian for that matter, the moment you enter the place and see the bullet marks on the wall, your heart sinks and you can't help but feel an ache somewhere inside. The place forces you to sit and think about the number of innocent people who gave their life away so that all of us living today could have a safe and secure. independent present!

You take a few steps, say fifty, out of the glorious, strong and determined past of India, and you reach the most magnificent golden dome, made of gold, that you would have seen in your life! Yes, The Golden Temple, the holy abode of the Sikhs all over the world is situated at a walking distance from the Jallianwalla Bagh. The peace that you experience as soon as you step into the gates of this 'temple', which is actually a 'Gurudwara', which a perpetually covered head, is one of it's kind. The 'Sarovar' or the lake of holy water which surrounds the main dome, is said to purify the soul of anyone who takes a dip in it. The main structure houses the 'Guru Granth Sahab' which is the holy book of the Sikhs! It is impossible to come out of the Golden Temple, after performing the 'parikrama' ( a full circle of the dome) without feeling more serene and calmer than ever before.

While my trip started with a lot of heartfelt and strong feelings, another feeling that I was experiencing was that of utter hunger! And hey, Amritsar didn't fail one bit in satisfying that too. From the roadside stalls serving delicious 'Chana Kulcha' (Indian version of Bread with Chick Peas), 'Bonda' (Cutlet), 'Gola' (Ice Popsicle), Tandoori Chicken et al, to the posh 5-star hotels serving the most palatable Chicken Risotto and Sushis, Amritsar has something to satisfy all the taste buds.

By the end of the day that I spent in one of the oldest and most historic cities of India, I was sure that the hype that surrounds it isn't a hype at all. In fact, it is a city that won't let you down, a city with the friendliest of people and a city that makes you makes you want to explore yourself, inside and out! And what better way to do it than while traveling? Next city, please

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About akritichadda


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.