Existing Member?

A city with many faces-Delhi

My Scholarship entry - Seeing the world through other eyes

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [300] | Scholarship Entry

A myriad of identities like the colors of a rainbow are perfectly blended together to give face to this amazing city which is so full of surprises.The city posseses a bottomless seam of stories: tales receding far beyond history,deep into the cavernous chambers of myths and legends. The following are a few enchanting places which fall beyond the usual 'to-dos' in Delhi, through the eyes of a wandering dilliwaala.   

Feroz Shah Kotla|The mystery within

The mosque here is believed to be a place that is visited by people who assuage djinns.People fast for days to have the djinns visit them and bless them. Certain beliefs say that if you stick a coin on the wall of the fortress and make a wish,it comes true; provided it sticks! Luckily mine did. Hope yours does too!

Ugrasen ki Baoli| The Sound of Silence 

An ancient step well,it is a peaceful delight for people to break away from the hustle-bustle of the city.A glorious structure, it has an air of tranquility around it and serves as the perfect spot to finish writing a song or reading a book; to talk about life or brood over it. The dark environment inside the tomb is the Gotham City for bats. If Bollywood loves the Taj Mahal, Hollywood should love Ugrasen Ki Baoli, especially Christopher Nolan!

Hazrat Nizamuddin’s Dargah|Passion in devotion

The great poet Ghalib(often referred to as the 'Shakespeare of India') was buried here. On Thursday evenings, Qawalli sessions are held by sufi singers,in the courtyard, under open skies. The music from the tablas and harmoniums, unplugged,tugs at a chord inside you and reverberates within your heart. Your faith does not matter;the music binds everyone together.

Delhi is the kind of place that is very easy to hate. The sultry summers and crazy traffic can drive you up the wall. But then there’s something about the place that makes you fall in love with the beautiful chaos. What is it? Go explore.

Tags: delhi, djinns, india, travel writing scholarship 2012

About ajita


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.