Existing Member?

Plus ultra

I am not tourist anymore

TURKEY | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [250] | Scholarship Entry

I want to tell you about one trip which changed me from inside. It happened two years ago, in 2012
It was first time when I was travelling alone. My long relationship was end after 5 years and I didn't know what to do with my life.
My chief knowing my situation recommended me to take a small vacation and try to relax.
I bought one flight ticket to Istanbul. I have never been in this city before and be honest I have never liked traveling to East countries, I was always prefer to chose Europe. You will ask me why I chose this direction?? It's easy - because it was the nearest flight and there is no need visa for Kazakhstan citizens.
I didn't pack my luggage. When I was travelling with my ex-boyfriend we took 2 big suitcases and we always was planning our trips. This time, I didn’t plane anything. Also, it was first time when I just took a small backpack.
All I wanted from this vacation was to lose in crowd.
Actually, I was planning to sleep all vacation in my hotel room. But life decided to give me a little surprise. In airport I lost my purse with all my money! I have never been in this situation before. At that moment I hated myself and my life.I called to my best friend Tanya and she founded for me a place where I could leave. So I knew about Couchserfing net-work. I lived in historical center of Istanbul in flat of young student Selin who was very kind to me (by the way, we are still keep in touch via facebook) After tree days, my mother sent me some money.
I was alone in this city with broken heart, without money (hopefully with passport) but for my surprising I was happy. I was feeling free. I slept less, walked more, met marvelous people, most of them citizen of Istanbul, ate nice traditional food, made pictures on my camera. Day by day I was founding beauty in simple things. Selin introduced me to her friends and we spent amazing time in Taksim, very popular place among Turkish youth.
During this vacation in Istanbul I have changed my opinion about travelling.
In the past, for me it was important to have a safety travel, to leave in luxury hotels, to go on excursions, to eat in popular restaurants etc.
I tried to be not typical tourist. I was trying to be a small part of this city. I tried to live like local who lives here all his life.
I fall in love with Istanbul because I saw his really face - mixed Asian and European, modern and traditional, crazy and calm city where live open and kind people.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About aira_rai


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.