Existing Member?

for better and worse

My Scholarship entry - Seeing the world through other eyes

WORLDWIDE | Sunday, 22 April 2012 | Views [215] | Scholarship Entry

life is an accumulation of several scene where we meet other species in which we share information, story, and lesson. i always though that people with the higher education, more experiences, and better job have the bigger chance to teach the other one about life lesson, because we can see which party has a better life. i forget that sometimes the one with the bigger heart can teach us more than our education can ever will.
i went to ponorogo this one time for work, the jungle part if it's according to me. it's about 3 hours from ponorogo city, all the way up with nothing but trees around you. not every house have proper toilet, the electricity went off due to rain and thunder, no signals for my mobile phone so i have to kiss my internet and civilitation goodbye. i've prepared myself for the worst 3 days of my life.
i stayed at Mr Ali's house. he didnt know me and yet he let me into his home. he didnt even ask for my identification card, he just saw a girl, lost, alone, need a place to stay, and the fact that he want to help. i slept in his bedroom with his wife while he slept on the couch. so there i was, lying next to a stranger in the dark, wondering why.
this family continued to surprise me the next morning. when i woke up there're these food on the table. i can see bamboo sprout, petai, jengkol, and one fried egg there. the only thing i can eat without throwing up is the egg, which unfortunately i assume is for the husband due to the patriarchy sytem believed by this country. however i cant find reasons to not eat without hurting the feeling of Mrs Ali, so i smiled and took my plate. i was hoping that i can survived the next 30 minutes swallowing my food.
then she put the egg on my plate. you might think that i'll be very happy and enjoy my food. i excused myself and went crying in the bedroom, mumbling something about my phone. this people only had one egg and they gave it to me. a stranger. really, you dont have to be rich or even smart to be a good people.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About aira


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.