Existing Member?

Take Me Away Tales of my best travel bargains and how to find deals.

Roundtrip to Barcelona for $250

USA | Friday, 5 October 2012 | Views [1133]

Over the past ten years spent working in the hospitality/travel industry, I’ve been able to take advantage of some great perks. I stayed at five star resorts for under $50 per night, honeymooned in Curacao for 10 days and spent less than $1,000 and flew to Buenos Aires for half price.  But the best deal I’ve ever come across was a roundtrip flight from JFK to Barcelona for $250, including taxes that I found through Fly.com, a great site for cheap flights.

I had already been to Barcelona, but the deal was too good to pass up so I booked a last-minute trip and took my sister along with me. In my opinion, Barcelona is one of the best cities in the world – great climate, architecture, art and food … all set on the Mediterranean.  One of my best friends has been living in Barcelona for seven years so we were fortunate enough to have a local give us some insider tips.

Here are some of the places and activities I enjoyed the most:

  • Sagrada Familia: If you only have one day to spend in Barcelona, I highly recommend making a stop at the Sagrada Familia. Trust me, it’s unlike any other cathedral you’ll visit in Europe. The gothic-style structure is the unfinished masterpiece of modernist architect Antoni Gaudí and is fascinating inside and out.
  • Park ell: Also designed by Antoni Gaudí, Park Güell is a garden complex with whimsical architectural elements. I loved the colorful mosaics woven throughout the grounds. The park sits on top of a large hill in the Gracia district. Hike to the top for panoramic city views.
  • Picasso Museum: Home to more than 3,800 pieces produced by the Spanish artist, Pablo Picasso. The museum is located amidst the medieval streets of the El Born district.  Spend a couple hours in the museum and then get lost exploring unique shops and passageways of the trendy surrounding neighborhood.
  • Sunday Paella: The best way to spend Sunday in Barcelona is to head to the beachfront restaurants in the Barceloneta district, where busy seafood restaurants serve paella all afternoon.  We ate at La Mar Salada, one of the less touristy restaurants on the strip, and everything – paella, wine, ambience – was delicious. After lunch meander down the boardwalk for some great people-watching.
  • Tapas: There are hundreds of places to grab tapas in Barcelona, but you’ll be guaranteed amazing, authentic food and lively atmosphere at Cerveceria Catalana.  The wait times for a table at the busy restaurant can be long, but you can opt for a seat at the tapas bar and watch the Catalan delicacies be prepared in front of you.
  • Sunset Cocktails: For a unique perspective of Barcelona, head up to Mirablau on the hill of Tibidabo. The cocktail bar offers a huge window overlooking the sparkling lights of the entire city. Come at sunset for cocktails and tapas or later on in the evening for music and dancing.
  •  Feast at the Food Market: The vibrant colors and aromas of Barcelona’s famous La Boqueria market are feast for the senses. There are over 100 stalls selling cheese, fruit, vegetables, chocolate, candies, pastries, sausage and more. Pick up ingredients for a picnic or pull up a stool at one of the many small restaurants wedged between the food vendors.

 

Tags: barcelona, cheap flights, europe, spain

About ahollins


Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.