Existing Member?

Travel writing

My last visit to Jerusalem

PALESTINE | Wednesday, 30 April 2014 | Views [155] | Scholarship Entry

Actually, it was my only visit to that part of the occupied Palestinian lands (Jerusalem). Although I am Palestinian and live in Palestine, but traveling to Japan is more possible than traveling to Jerusalem. Because of the Israeli occupation.

In June 2011, I applied for a "Medical Permission" for the first time. I was okay, and I did not have any health problem. But it was the only way I can get permission. I was expecting that the permission application would be rejected. but the It was a big surprise for me. I got it! it was very limited, -for 10 hours only-, but it was good for the moment.


What's your purpose in Israel?!" The Israeli police man asked me at the checkpoint. And I passed when he saw the medical permission.

Now I am behind the apartheid wall, and the Adventure has just started! I did not know any place in Jerusalem. But there ware many Palestinians who helped me to reach the old city. What a feeling! I'm in the old city for the first time. I know that Al-Aqsa mosque is in the region but I didn't know where to go! I asked an old man to help me. He led me to a hotel roof. When I reached the roof, I was SHOKED! The Dome of the Rock was in front of me! I could not believe it! What a shining Dome! It was really different than what I used to see in TV! Then, I had my breakfast on the roof while meditating and watching the beautiful scene. My breakfast was 2 pieces of falafel & the famous bread of Jerusalem.


After that, I went down to the old city again. It was like a maze. The spices’ smell which was emitted from the old markets was amazing. Then I went to Church of the Resurrection which is holy place for Christians. And then I headed to Al-Aqsa. When I reached, the policeman stopped me at the gate of Al-Aqsa. He asked me for my ID. And when he saw the green ID which means that I am from west bank, he asked for the permission! When he saw it he said: "your place is in hospital. What are you doing here?” I told him that it is prayer time.
He kept the ID with him till I got out from Al-Aqsa.
Al-Aqsa was amazing. The decoration was fabulous.

In the evening, I went to Al-Toor Mountain which is overlooking Al-Aqsa. The scene was impressive. At 20:00 o’clock, the time was off!

- It was the best trip in my life. Although that I spent it Alone. But the question that is still raising my curiosity till now is: WHERE WAS THE HOSPITAL THAT I TOOK THE PERMISSION FOR?!!!

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About ahmad_al_bazz


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Palestine

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.