Existing Member?

Non-stop backpacker

Understanding a Culture through Food - Traditional Food as a Cultural Heritage

INDONESIA | Saturday, 13 April 2013 | Views [364] | Scholarship Entry

Traditional Food as a Cultural Heritage
Agus Riyanto Poerwoprajitno

I
n this world, there is so many kind of food. Everywhere has his identity food like Chinese food, western food, italian food, Indonesian food,etc. Evey traditional has uniqueness in taste. Recently, taditional food has developed very rapidly For example, almost everywhere in many contry we can see chinese food restaurant. From chinese food, we can be familiar with china. Cerainly, this will indirectly increase the tourist attraction. Culinary has become its own tourist icon. With the increase in tourism in china, of course many tourists who visit the tourist attractions. Because of that, the culture can be more famous.
Traditional food can't separated with culture. Behind the delicious, traditional food stores much like the taste of the cultural history of food and how to eat it has a special meaning.
Chopsticks
The invention of chopsticks reflects the wisdom of Chinese ancient people. A pair of chopsticks, though they look simple, can nip, pick, rip and stir food. Nowadays, chopsticks are considered to be lucky gifts for marriage and other important ceremonies.
Nian Gao

One of the typical foods that keep the history of china is nian gao. This cake is made only once a year on the eve of Chinese New Year. According to the story of history's cake was made as an offering to the Gods. This cake symbolizes harmony brotherhood.
Many types of food around us that actually has its own story. China can be divided into many geographical areas, and each area has a distinct style of cooking. The ingredients used in the food are based on the natural agricultural products of the region. In Northern China, for example, wheat is eaten more than rice as a staple food. Food using wheat as its main ingredient, such as noodles and dumplings is prevalent there. China's Southern cuisine uses far more rice, with such staples as rice noodles and zongzi - sticky rice wrapped in leaves. Southern food, is typically more spicy, and many minorities eat chilies every day. The difference style of cooking means multeity culture in china.
Through food heritage values, culture, and history of a nation can be sustainable. Let's try!

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About agus92


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.