Existing Member?

Al's Travel Diary

The City of Good Winds

ARGENTINA | Wednesday, 15 February 2012 | Views [492]

Hola!

Well it's day 5 already and still no entries - time for an update!

Buenos Aires has been a good stay so far - we had a good flight over and have set up camp in a hostel named Milhouse which is heavily populated with Australians. The hostel is pretty good quality so we haven't had the pleasures of bed bugs, theft or having to wear thongs in the shower thus far.

Our adventures through the city have been great. Sunday was spent wandering the markets of San Telmo and La Boca, Monday on a general bus tour of the city and Tuesday exploring the more affluent district of Palermo. The city is steeped with history which makes for both plentiful and extremely interesting touring - the tour of the Evita Museum yesterday was a highlight. On the party front we have seen a few bars but the only big night so far has been Monday night. Having said that, bed time has not been before midnight thus far owing to the wonderful culture of the afternoon siesta and late dining. Monday night was absolutely awesome. We went to a concert of street percussionists called La Bomba del Tiempo which was amazing - 14 percussionists lead by a conductor, all with rotating roles on bongos, tympani, miracas with cameos from a couple of guitarist/vocalists. Two hours of booty-shaking later we headed to a steakhouse called La Brigada. It lived up to the multiple recommendations we had received with fantastic steak, wine and atmosphere.


To our collective relief, visas were secured for Brazil without drama so we are all set to head to Rio tomorrow night. We missed seeing what was apparently a spectacular clash between Argentinian marines and riot police yesterday on the main drag which was disappointing - perhaps you saw it on the news? Needless to say, however, there has been no shortage of action in general which has been regularly injected with hilarious moments of confusion where the language barrier has extended just a little too high!

Today will be another day of touring, this time to the Ricoleta district which is home of a very large and well-known cemetery amongst other things. My second guess is that there will also be numerous statues - it seems the Argies are incapable of constructing a roundabout without decorating it with some kind of profound and emphatic historical figure!


That is all for now though - hope all is well at home.

About agrant


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.