Existing Member?

Al and Veronika Trip 2011

China

CHINA | Wednesday, 31 August 2011 | Views [303]

It has been a while, so we thought it's time for an update.

We arrived in Hong Kong on 8th August and spent 5 nights there as we sorted out visas for China. After the peace and tranquility of spending a week at lake Constance in Austria the heat, humidity, pace and sheer number of people in HK was quite a shock and it took me a couple of days to adjust and get my Asia legs. It also clearly had an impact on Veronika as she managed to fall out of the bus on the way to the Chinese embassy. Thankfully, she escaped any real injury apart from a little embarrassment! While waiting for the visas we did all the HK sights, ate lots of noodles and generally settled into the traveling way of life again.

Beijing was our first stop in China. Not surprisingly a huge city to get to grips with. The big highlight of the stay in Beijing was walking on the Great Wall. Thanks to a good tip we got a good private guide which meant we didn't have to go with a huge group and could go really early in the morning to a much quieter and beautiful section of the wall. Had to get a cable car up to the wall which, needless to say, I was not looking forward to. Having survived the cable car though, I was feeling brave enough to go for a wee walk along it....or at least be coaxed along a bit by Veronika! Just as we got there the sun broke through the clouds and it was amazing...really beautiful. Veronika was clearly moved by the whole experience (as anyone who sees our China photos will confirm)....I was relieved to have survived the latest "let's go up something really high" experience. Also in Beijing we visited the Forbidden City, numerous temples, took a rickshaw ride through the narrow alleyways and ate some snake amongst other things.

From Beijing we took a 12 hr overnight train ride to the ancient walled town of Pingyao. Fancy modern bullet train this was certainly not! There's about 1.4 billion people in China and at conservative guess about half of them were on our train. We crammed ourselves into our carriage and sat there unable to move for the 12 hours. Just as I was about to nod off for 5 mins respite, sure enough, a fellow passenger would start up some Peking opera (think strangled cat) and any thought of sleep was out the window. Toilet anyone? Eh....no thanks. Anyway, we made it and the town was worth it. Very charming, narrow streets you could stroll around for hours just chilling out. Also walked the city walls and saw the old way of life that still very much exists here.

Xi'an was our next stop.....by plane! Here we came to see the famous Terracotta Warriors. Certainly a pretty amazing discovery but I think we both came to the conclusion that with a bit more of an interest in archaeology it would have been even better. The town itself was ok, but nothing too special. The Muslim quarter with all the markets and food stalls were a highlight and fun to visit.

Still reading? From Xi'an we then went to Shanghai. If NYC is not America then Shanghai is not China. Shanghai is all glitz, huge skyscrapers, trendy bars and clubs. We also found it quite easy to navigate on foot (at least the obvious touristy bits) which was great. Shanghai is however much pricier than elsewhere in China and the backpacker budget took a bit of a hit here....but to see the look on Veronika's face when she finally got a decent glass of red wine was worth it! Having previously mentioned Veronika falling out of a bus I think it's only fair I mention what can only really be described as my "fried dumpling" incident. After having safely negotiated the smaller steamed dumplings with chopsticks we moved on to the much larger fried dumplings. I was just unable to pick a single one up with the chopsticks as hard as I tried....and the more I tried the worse it got as I could then see the smirking faces of all the locals sitting around us.The next few minutes, as Veronika sat there laughing as hard as I have ever seen her laugh, basically resembled what could only be described as a scene from Mr Bean does Shanghai. After chasing it round the table for a while I gave up and even when I used a spoon it rolled off into the bowl of soup creating a healthy splash..... and when I finally managed to take a small bite the juice inside sprayed all over my face. Not my smoothest hour.

The Giant Pandas were our next port of call and for that we headed to the city of Chengdu. On the face of it a rather bleak city but there is a huge breeding base for the pandas an hour outside the city. We spent great day at the base where we got to observe the pandas up close and personal and away from the crowds. We were told to go early as that is when they are at their most "active". Well, if that is them at their most active....I would hate to see them relaxing. Lovable creatures though and thoroughly worth the visit.

We then flew to the amazingly picturesque town of Lijiang in the south west of the country. All the cobbled narrow streets here are picture postcard material and there is a very laid back atmosphere. Arriving here was very different from where we had been been this far as here we are surrounded by mountains and the scenery was lovely. We spent a couple of days there relaxing and soaking in the atmosphere of the small town.

Dali city, an old backpacker haunt of years gone by, was next on the agenda. Arriving in Dali city by bus is a good example of how tricky it can be to travel in China if you speak not even one of the hundreds of different variations of the Chinese language. There are 2 Dali Cities as it turns out and the bus was going to both of course. Thankfully we followed our instincts and guessed correctly. Situated between Erhai Hu Lake and Cang Shan mountain Dali has a great location and there is lots to see and do around the town. (the other Dali is also very nearby).

Even though we had spent three fabulous weeks discovering China up to this point our final week in China was spent in the southern province of Guangxi and was probably our favourite. As the books say, Guangxi offers endless rewards for those with an outdoorsy temperament. Well, that's me covered...but what about Veronika. First, we headed to Yangshuo, or rather a few miles outside of Yangshuo to a fairly remote village. From this base we were able to cycle along side the beautiful Yulong River as we went by rice paddies, fish farms, water buffalo and through tiny rural villages all while being surrounded by the quite spectacular karst scenery. After a couple of hours of cycling you could then put your bike on a bamboo raft, sit back and relax as you drifted along the river. More outdoorsy stuff was to follow as we moved onto the tiny village of Dazhai. The big highlight of Dazhai are the Dragon's Backbone Rice Terraces which rise up to 1000m high and through which we (being with Veronika) just had to hike through. One thing we quickly discovered is that the more active you are the less tourists you'll be with so the long hike we did one day between villages up through the rice terraces and over the mountains was truly spectacular.

Before I go and sign off from China....quick word about the food. Food obviously plays a big part in the culture here and it varies greatly from place to place (not that surprising when you consider how huge the country is). Veronika makes sure we always sample all the local specialities which means you need to be open to anything. They generally do not speak any english here in the local restaurants we like to go to, therefore you do see some great dishes on the rare english menus that you do get to look at. A couple of favourites so far include "Clear cooks the bulls penis" and "Urinating beef balls". Now who wouldn't want that ???

Anyway...better go.....happy hour calls and then on to Vietnam

About ag


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.