Existing Member?

Home away from home I have been travelling on and off in Africa for the last 2 years due to my work ...Came across this website while browsing and thought why not start blogging. So here goes my thought about this continent

First day blogging

BENIN | Saturday, 19 May 2007 | Views [464]

Here goes my first time at blogging...The wonders of internet and so much time at my hands.

I guess this is more of a travel website ... so I will try to summarize what I am doing in Benin. I work in a global company that is rolling out SAP (if you have heard out of it - you don't need an introduction)across its offices in Africa. I have been previously in Turkey, Zimbabwe, Kenya and now in Benin.

Benin - West Africa ...If you look at the map; some people say that the shape of this country really looks particularly strange, arkward...(My friends have good imagination). My stay in Benin has been largely limited to Contonou. Contonou is a port and it's the economic center in Benin. The administrative capital is in Porto Novo. Since this was my first trip to West Africa; I was taken a back by the pace of development in Contonou. Coming from Kenya & Zimbabwe; I expected a similiar pace of development there but I guess each country is unique.

Contonou appears like a relatively small town. Here most people go on motorcycles and I guess that is the most favored means of transportation. They have bike for hires (the drivers wear a yellow shirt) that will take you around Contonou though I don't think safety can be guranteed. I guess safety is the least of concern for the goverment here ...and people go around on bikes without wearing helmets. Traffic is horrendous ... everyone goes in all directions and there hardly seems to be any respect for traffic rules. Houses are basic construction; made from wood with corrugrated tin roofs or the better ones are made fom brick however ( I think due to lack of finances) they are left uncompleted with the iron pilling left sticking out ...Some of them are not painted; so they stand out like a dull gray building. Those houses that are nice ...we can see them being surrounded by high walls and gates to prevent intruding eyes.... Very typical of African homes.

There are 2 hotels of international standards in Contonou, Marina Bay & Novotel. Both these hotels are located by the beach ...so you will have an amazing view of beach & sea - the Blight of Benin. I think this directly extends to the Alantic Ocean. Marina Bay has slightly older rooms compared to the Novotel ...however the plus side of it; it has a mini golf course, swimming pool, nice bar area... just by the beach. Novotel is not that bad after all ..The only problem is it's under renovation during this period. They are really expanding the place & I think at the end of this year it would be a much better place to stay than Marina. The rooms are very functional, nice & pratical. They have adopted this Novation concept of furnishing & design for all the rooms here .. I don't know whether this concept applies to Novotel in other parts of Europe. So if you are ever visiting Benin later this year or next year; Novotel would be a much better bet of an enjoyable stay...Currently now the rates in Novotel are much lower than in Marina Bay.

Well I would try to attach some pictures of Contonou when I log in the next time ..

It's going to be a long weekend here...

Tags: Travel Tips

About africanmei


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Benin

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.