Existing Member?

Where the wild wanders freely

When fear and wonder meet

SOUTH AFRICA | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [307] | Scholarship Entry

We had been walking in complete silence as we started to hear the crackling sound of twigs breaking underfoot. This makes everyone nervous as no one dares to utter a sound in this valley. The air feels thick, partly due to the uneasy silence but also because of the sweat clinging to us like adhesive after our day of tedious animal trekking. The sweltering heat is also not easing our journey back to camp.

Suddenly the rangers come to halt on the ridge we are walking on. To the right a steep slope of dirt rises to the top of the small valley. To our left lies a small pool, slightly larger than a pond. Enclosing the pool are long green grasses and inside it a small round rock is penetrating the surface by a few inches.

The rangers quietly discuss amongst themselves and exchange anxious glances towards the pool. Their eyes speak of uncertainty; something I had not seen in my trip with them up until now. Behind me I can hear the clicking sound of the American’s camera as he takes pictures of everything the African bush so abundantly has to offer.
The rangers then direct us to slowly move past them. But at that moment the rock in the pool explodes forward revealing a massive hippo bull. Within split seconds he is at the edge of the pool near the ridge. With his mouth wide open and his tusks glistening in the hot sun he stares me right in the eyes.

Everything becomes a blur as paralysis creeps over my body. The hairs on my arms start to rise. The cries from the rangers are muffled and inaudible. My view is fixed on this gigantic animal in front of me as I beg myself to flee but my body remains unresponsive. I am utterly consumed in a different world of immense terror but also absolute wonder as our eyes lock.

A gunshot suddenly shocks me back into focus. At first I am confused, not grasping reality and assuming the animal has been shot. Then everything comes back into focus as I realise they have only fired a warning shot. The bull recedes. Now I start to run - long after the order was given to move. The other hikers are far ahead of me.

Later that evening, as everyone exchanges their own account of the event, I see the American quietly grinning at his camera. He is content with his experience of the African bush and his horde of photographs to hold onto forever. I, however, am just content with that second I had to look into the animal’s eyes. That treasured moment will forever remind me of the magnificence this continent has to offer.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About africanheart


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.