Existing Member?

african bliss for bohemian mermaids here you will find: my mind, lost in time linguistic trance-lations of dance, epic mom-ents mosquito net placements and i bet some cosmic revelations inspired by zulu nations

la chance

MOROCCO | Wednesday, 20 December 2006 | Views [698] | Comments [1]

the signs are glowing, almost a blinding neon pink, lighting the path that has already decided itself.

my first friend in marrakech was born in a village that is my name spelled backwards: assila.  my second friend let me borrow his vest one night, in the freezing evening of the sahara.. as i am zipping it up i am noticing the brand name of the jacket: annapurna-the hindu goddes who was once incarnated in the form of a cafe that i created in portland..written on the zipper that is in my hands at this brilliant moment. and now, in this town, it is the same faces, like i have lived here forever. i run into familiar faces every few feet; sand in my teeth and kisses on both cheeks because that is how it is here. i am always the only woman everywhere- cafes, buses, shops, sidewalks- and always with a protective clan of brothers. my angels keep appearing in amorphic form, changing hands and saving me from buses falling off cliffs, giardia infested tap water, too many desperate men and a high price for anything with an english label on it.

and there are things that tie third worlds together: snowballs and smiles, crumbling walls and the smell of fresh meat, small rooms with broken locks and hard mattresses, the feeling of not knowing what anyone is saying, the fearlessness and how strange it is that it all seems so ordinary, like i have been here always.

but i am learning: i am learning to know a person deeply beyond their language, learning to see without my eyes and look with understanding in my heart. i am learning to share everything until it is gone, learning to receieve, to accept time, to wait as though i am not waiting. i am learning to walk slowly, through the sand, with divine attention..

Tags: Philosophy of travel

Comments

1

lovely alissa,
it fills my heart with intense joy and gratitude to know that you are held and protected by the great all that is. i love you girl, cant wait to cross your path again, maybe here, maybe there, who knows??

  natalie Dec 27, 2006 5:02 AM

About africalis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Morocco

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.