Existing Member?

Alison's Aussie Adventures

Here I come Australia!

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 4 September 2008 | Views [497] | Comments [2]

Okay- here I am at the Auckland, New Zealand Airport.  Made it over the equator and across the International Date Line and starting to actually FEEL far away.  But, everyone around me is still human, willing to help, and probably feeling some degree of “unsettled-ness” as well.

 

Note to self:  Pack better.  WAY better.  At Sea-Tac my main suitcase (yes, there are two) was 19 pounds over weight.  However, the second was under.  SO, to avoid the $275 fee (!!!), my “see-me-off cohorts” (Meg, Mom, Dad, and Deb) totally RALLIED on my behalf to re-arrange my luggage.  My two bags flung open, me sitting there on the floor on the verge of tears (after a scare regarding my Visa which was really just the ticket agent mis-reading the info) and Meg, Mom, Dad, and Deb started throwing clothes, shampoo bottles, shoes and hair products back and forth between the two bags.  I was reassured that this is a common practice when I noticed the huge area set aside at the check-in counter complete with five or six luggage scales.  Phew- it’s not just me!  So, thanks to my crew’s logistical brilliance, my bags were balanced out.  I did have to fill an empty back-pack with extra weight and add that to my already huge carry-on load, but at least I avoided the extra charge.  Once I arrive in Sydney we’ll see if my shoulders still work.

 

The flight here from San Francisco was just fine.  Watched a couple of movies, TV shows, read, listened to my iPod and managed to get in a few hours of sleep.  And, the food was crazy-good.  Who KNEW??!!

 

Just getting ready to board for Sydney!  Here I come… new life chapter…

Comments

1

You are without a doubt fantastic and brave!!!! You are my mentor. Love Becki

  Becki French Sep 5, 2008 2:31 AM

2

Well, if the baking thing doesn't work out, you can always be a writer! Thanks so much for including us on this blog. It's so fun to read! I am so impressed by your courage and optimism! Aaliyah says, "Allison, we miss you and love you and how is Australia doing? I got a fish for my birthday. His name is Smoothie. I love you! Love Aaliyah"

  Mary-Pat et al Sep 5, 2008 7:14 AM

About afischera


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.